Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP picture viewer

by Mary / August 23, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

Does anyone know how to change the program that opens when you hit edit in the XP picture and fax viewer? It would always open photo impression for me until I installed the student teacher edition of MS office last fall and it changed to MS photo editor. I asked some where once and no one knew how to do this. I managed to play around and get it point to MS paint but I have no clue how but I would like it back the way it was. I treid going to folder options and file types and for JPEG selected photo impression but when you hit edit it still opens MS paint. I know I can right click the edit button and choose the program of my choice but I would like it back to automatically opening in photo impression when I hit edit. To be clear what I want is to open the photo in the XP picture and fax viewer and then in there when I click the edit button I want it to open in the program of my choice so I need to know how to change that.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP picture viewer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP picture viewer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP picture viewer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: XP picture viewer

No. But if this was my machine I might try changing the Edit property of the file type in question via Explorer. Hint: Under File Types, find your JPG or such entry and change the Edit item to point to your program choice.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP picture viewer

That's what I am trying to do but it's not working right or I am not doing it right. I open my computer and then go to tools, folder options and file types. I see three things in there. JPE,JPEG and JPG so I assume those are all photo file extensions. JPE says open with photo impression, JPEG says open with photo impression and JPG says open with picture and fax viewer. If I also changed the last one to photo impression then the photos first open in photo impression not the picture and fax viewer. I have changed those every which way with no luck. Am I in the right spot to change the edit button on the picture and fax viewer or what am I doing wrong here?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:18 AM PDT

You're close. You don't want to change the Open item, but the EDIT entry. At least that's what I read in your message.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 2:31 AM PDT

I guess that's what I need is to change the edit entry. Now when I look at JPE, JPEG and JPG in there JPE is the only one that has an advanced button and when I click that I see edit and it's pointing to photo impression. JPEG and JPG don't have an advanced button to do that but JPEG is pointing to photo impression. JPG is pointing to the picture viewer and if I change that to photo impression then the photo open straigt up into that program and not the picture viewer first. This worked fine until the MS office install changed it around. I have no clue how I even got it to go from MS photo editor to paint, that was long ago I played around.

Collapse -
XP picture viewer and Google. Answer =
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / August 23, 2004 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: XP picture viewer

I believe you can right click the jpeg file > Choose Open With > Select Choose Program > When the list comes up, Select your program choice ... And, if you want all photo's with that file type (jpeg, etc) to open with that program > Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" - that will point all file with a jpeg extension, for example, to the program you selected.

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 2:35 AM PDT

Thaks for trying to help jake but that's now what I want to do. I know how to associate files. I have my photos open in the XP picture and fax viewer and in there on the tool bar there is a button to open the photo for editing and when you click that the photo now opens in MS paint. I want to change it to open in photo impression and I want it to automatically do that every time I click edit. If you change the file association by doing the open with thing it will open in photo impression straight off and that's not what I want.

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / August 23, 2004 3:09 AM PDT

As a possible work-around, couldn't you open the graphics program first and then select and open the file there - within the program. That's what I do - but I know that doesn't answer your question.

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 7:06 AM PDT

Thank you R. Proffitt. I had searched google many times before but I probably didn't word it the right way. The article in PC magazine is exactly what I need. I have never touched the registry before but I see some good instructions for backing it up so I think I will give this a try.

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

Well I was all set to learn how to edit the registry for the first time but I didn't have to. When I went into files types I decided to play around a little more and I clicked restore for JPEG and JPG. That defaulted the edit button back to the MS photo editor so then when I went back into file types for those two I clicked change and pointed them to photo impression. Now the photos open in the picture viewer and when I click edit photo impression opens up. I had tried playing around with this many times before but I guess it finally worked today. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
by Mary / August 23, 2004 8:38 AM PDT

I stated that wrong. When I went into file types and clicked restore for jpeg I then was able to see the advance tab and click edit. I then put this in there and now it works.

"C:\Program Files\Arcsoft\Software Suite\PhotoImpression\PhotoImpression.exe" %1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.