General discussion

XP PC wont start after updates HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I have an HP media centre PC with XP and Mcafee security, the other day after an update the display went all funny and got a message up for a second saying something like display not operating normaly, i thought it must have been the graphics card so i removed it and took it to local shop to replace, she told me it was probably caused by a driver error caused by the update, so i went back and refitted the card and tried again, at first the PC wouldnt turn on fully, the lights and fan came on but no action at the monitor, i turned it on and off several times and it eventually came on with a dodgy hardly readable screen, managed to reset to an earlier date and it ran fine the hole day, when i came to turn it off it decided to update, never thought anything about it, but the next morning im back to it not turning on at all now, no mater how many times i turn it off and on, i just get the lights and fan, and another thing i have noticed is that the wireless box isn't lighting up, any ideas orhelp would be much appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP PC wont start after updates HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP PC wont start after updates HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: won't start

- What update was causing this problem the first time?
- Do you know what updates are the ones that XP "decided to update"? The same as the first one?
- What lights should be lighting up on the "wireless box"? When? Why?

Anyway, if you turn the PC on something should happen (the BIOS doing it's startup things) without involving anything related to Windows. So whatever Windows does with updates and drivers shouldn't influence that. So it's not a Windows issue, but a BIOS or hardware issue. Seems like a job for the repair shop.

Kees

- Collapse -
Will It Boot In Safe Mode?

If it does, you should be able to use System Restore to go back to when things worked correctly. If System Restore allows things to work correctly, then remember DON'T install any of the optional driver updates from the Windows Update site.. Turn OFF the automatic updates option and make sure you hide all those optional items. It's possible a video driver was installed and has caused the issue.

Of course, if the above steps don't get you running, then a lot more troubleshooting needs to be done and Kees' advice for a repair shop might be in order.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Update issue

Some times both antivirus and updates does not allow to work parallel y , hence disable one at a time and try to run

- Collapse -
thanks guys

had no luck with it, i no nothing about computers, just how to turn them on and use internet, so didnt no howto start it in safe mode, taken it into the shop now and just waiting, will let you no the outcome, thanks

- Collapse -
How To Start In Safe Mode

Here's the link just in case you ever need it:

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums