Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP partition hacked?

i duel boot XP and linux, via the lilo boot loader.

the problem is when i hit enter to boot XP in lilo, i get this error:

'A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart'

so i do that but i just get that error again.

i can still boot the Slack partition (using it now).

ive tried to get into the XP recovery via the XP disk, but it says 'scanning for your hardware', but then the screen stays black (i dont get the blue setup screen)

if i try to use an xp floppy, the same thing happens.

now heres the thing, i think i may have been hacked, as i was using the XP partition last night and had a run in on the net with someone who (looking back to a post of his on a forum) may have hacked me. i dont know, im not sure.

im just wondering wether theres anyway to repair this? i dont actually think it is the MBR, as lilo works, is that correct? could it be that the XP boot sector is damaged?

any help very much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP partition hacked?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP partition hacked?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does not sound any different that a normal failure.

In reply to: XP partition hacked?

Your post told nothing about the PC and how you installed XP the first time. Some forget that with SATA, on some machines there is a driver CD to offer during instal.

Tell more and get get a hard disk diagnostic from your hard disk's maker.

Collapse -
Reply to R. Proffitt

In reply to: Does not sound any different that a normal failure.

Hi R. Proffitt,

to answer your questions:

the HardDrive is ATA

i installed XP from the XP cd disk.

could it be that the HardDrive is failing?, the Linux partition will boot ok, its just XP that gives the error.

Collapse -
Or there is a PC with some Via chipset...

In reply to: Reply to R. Proffitt

And an USB device plugged in. This is a common issue but given so many I hope you will take a minute or two to supply at the very minimum what the words in red ask for. Otherwise I can do nothing but guess and guess badly.

Yes it could be a failing drive and linux working doesn't tell us if the XP install is thrashed or much else. You can test the hard disk with it's maker's test software so try that but consider making a good complete post.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.