HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP OS IS PRACTIALLY UNRESPONSIVE

by Clarky12345 / January 26, 2008 6:35 PM PST

Hi -

My Sister gave me her old PC with which i've clean installed XP Home, thinking the computer would be able to handle this OS no problem. It takes ages for it to respond after it boots up and the interaction is about a 10 second wait after i perform any action. It wont even launch task manager. I was wondering if anyone was able to tell me if the computer i have doesn't meet the specs. for XP Home. I've got a:-

CPU - AMD Duron 1.20 Ghz, 120 MB of RAM

Hard Disk Space - 40 GB.

Display adaptor - Trident Video accelerator Blade 3D/Pro media

Are far as i know, this all should be ok for XP Home to go fine on it but it doesnt its slower than than time standing still and freezes up all the time.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Clark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP OS IS PRACTIALLY UNRESPONSIVE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP OS IS PRACTIALLY UNRESPONSIVE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a couple of thoughts.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 7:29 PM PST

That RAM. 120MB is much too low for XP to work effectively. The minimum usually recommended in these forums is 512MB but many have 1GB or more. I use 2GB of RAM.

Drivers. Windows doesn't find drivers that well and so on a clean install, (reformat, then install), you need to find motherboard, video, drivers, etc. Not a thing I know too much about but I wonder if a motherboard that old will have drivers for XP.

Mark

Collapse -
Ok
by Clarky12345 / January 26, 2008 7:53 PM PST

So - if i buy a Gig of RAM, that should do the trick. I'll update my drivers drivers from device manager aswell - hopefully it'll pick them up. If not i'll search the internet for them.

This probably seems like a stupid question to you, but do you know if RAM is universal? I've got a feeling it should be compatible with your processor, not sure though?
Cheers.
Clark

Collapse -
Others here will tell you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Ok
Collapse -
thanks
by Clarky12345 / January 26, 2008 8:36 PM PST

much appreciated.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 10:55 PM PST

I have an ancient laptop with 64MB RAM that runs Windows 2000. It's only a rat in our lab to test that our software runs on such a thing but it takes no less than 10 minutes to boot and be ready to run our software.

You'll want more ram.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.