Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp opens 57+ windows win i try to open something

by dvdljns / February 20, 2008 2:13 AM PST

When I try to open something on my computor it keeps trying to open. It is really a pain when I click on ie because ie will open 57+ times.
If I hit ctrl+alt it stops untill I restart my computor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp opens 57+ windows win i try to open something
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp opens 57+ windows win i try to open something
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First question
by Jimmy Greystone / February 20, 2008 2:24 AM PST

First Question: What do you do for virus and spyware/malware protection/prevention?

Collapse -
reply to first question
by dvdljns / February 20, 2008 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: First question

I use a registered copy of ca antiviris, But it happens from a fresh install even before I load my internet connection.

Collapse -
Ahh! And for the firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 3:18 AM PST
Collapse -
reply to: Ahh! And for the firewall
by dvdljns / February 21, 2008 1:23 PM PST

[quote] If you install XP or XP SP1 and connect to the internet you will get a lot of windows opening.[/quote]

have xp with sp2

[quote] Install the firewall before connecting[/quote]

I have two firewalls instaled one on my router and one on my computer.

[quote]Most are from the MESSENGER!![/quote]

It is not messenger. it is a bunch of ie browser windows.

I worked with microsoft tech support and they cannot figere it out.
they keep insisting it is a boot viris even though there viris scan said my boot secter is clean.

but I will shoot the messenger just in case. I do not use it so it will not hurt.
I am wondering if it might have something to do with the fact I have a duo proccesser.

Collapse -
What happens if you change keyboards ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 22, 2008 3:51 AM PST

and mouse or if USB move them to different USB ports?

Collapse -
Tried that
by dvdljns / February 26, 2008 3:03 AM PST

Tried changing both mouse and keyboard. moving them from ps2 slots to usb slots. no diferance called intel and they never heard of it. upgraded bios. next I plan on loading win2kpro as a second os.
If I have no problam with that, I may just have to run win 2k.

Collapse -
(NT) Does it help if you revert back to MSIE 6?
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2008 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Tried that
Collapse -
Send me your HIJACKTHIS log.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Tried that

I won't do a proper reading but it may find it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!