Question

XP not reconizing Vista recovery disc's

I have a HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook pc,AMD Turion(tm)64x2 with had Vista installed.This is my problem....I had a major sound glitch in Vista that I could not fix.Soooo I had a XP CD and I installed XP into this laptop,of cos I did a clean install and formatted,I know,Duh.Now I have lost all my notebook drivers and pretty much useless.So I contacted HP,talked to a tech and he sold me the two system recovery disc made for this Notebook telling me these disc will bring back my pc to the original settings and drivers.By the way the system restore is gone also.Yup,another Duh.Anyhow,got the disc,tried disc 1 and nothing,kept trying but the Notebook does not reconize the disc.Called HP again,they told me since XP is the operating system now the pc will not reconize and they refused to help.I cannot get the Notebook on line,is there anybody out there that knows how I get the notebook to reconize these recovery disc?PLEASE!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP not reconizing Vista recovery disc's
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP not reconizing Vista recovery disc's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Did HP sell you Vista recovery disks?

Sorry it's not clear what you are attempting. Are you trying to install Vista again?

If so, at what stage does the system not recognise the disks?

The process is this. Insert the Vista Setup CD/DVD. Reboot the computer. The BIOS should recognise a system disk and start to boot from that.

Then, using the Vista disk, delete all partitions, reformat if necessary, then the disk should continue with it's setup to install Vista.

Where is this going wrong?

Mark

- Collapse -
XP not reconizing Vista recovery disc's

Hello Mark,thank's for responding.Yes,I am trying to install Vista again,the system does not recognise the disc at all,I have put disc in drive rebooted,nothing.Several times.These disc's are recovery disc straight from HP that has all driver's and Vista os.HP Tech told me after selling me them that since I deleted Vista off from the Notebook the system will not recognise the recovery disc because I loaded XP

- Collapse -
That looks like a BIOS setting

If the BIOS is not reading the disk you will first need to access the BIOS Setup, and change the boot order so that it reads the CD/DVD drive first, and see if that works.

When you turn the system on, are there any messages to "Press F2 for Setup", or similar?

Mark

- Collapse -
That looks like a BIOS setting

Mark,I changed boot sequence to ATAPI CD/DVD ROM DRIVE to boot first,nothing.No messages

- Collapse -
In that case, let's try a test.

It looks like either the CD/DVD drive is faulty, or the disks are.

Find another computer, and try and boot up with those disks. If it works, (you can always cancel out of the setup), then it looks like the drive on your other one has failed or is failing.

If it does not work, then it looks like the disks are bad, or they are not bootable disks.

If they are bad you can try making copies of them as that sometimes works.

I must say I have never had to use recovery disks myself before and there may be something in what HP says about these not being proper setup disks. But have a look around HP's web site for instructions how to use them.

Mark

- Collapse -
In that case, let's try a test.

Well when I formated the Notebook lost all it's drivers also,the cd/dvd appears to be spinning,when I reject it manualy it's spinning.When I spoke to HP tech,she told me that it would not reconize the disc cos I loaded XP.She told me I need to reload vista then use the recovery disc's.I have the keycode to the original Vista os but no disc,this is a hand down notebook,its old but worked well for what I use it for.I really hate to pay for a new Vista os,any way around this?

- Collapse -
I found this at the HP site

for your make and model;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3632100

Shorter version - Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6700 Entertainment Notebook PC series,

Look for and find in the list, the PDF file for "Backup and Recovery for Windows Vista". This guide explains how the Recovery Disks should work.

In your case it seems these recovery disks should load from bootup. But other than that I can't say. Have you tried the disks in your other machine, (the one you are using to post in this forum)?

If the CD/DVD drive on the Notebook has failed, then you need a new drive. An external one may work.

If the disks have failed, then like I said, try copying them to another CD or DVD. That sometimes works.

When you installed XP did you reformat the hard drive? If not, the hidden recovery partition may still be there. But if you did, then this notebook looks like it is toast as far as Windows goes, unless you purchase new disks. Why not go for Windows 7?

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info