Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP not booting up.

by jlsprinkle / September 14, 2012 12:23 PM PDT

XP OS not booting - stopping on a black screen with the cursor arrow in the middle of the black screen - cursor is able to be moved. - I have run a inplace reinstall - with no luck - rebuilt boot.ini - no luck - MBR replaced - no luck - not sure were to go from here - have tried answers found on the net - but none of them fix the problem!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP not booting up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP not booting up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Do you see?
by mchainmchain / September 15, 2012 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: XP not booting up.

What exactly?

BIOS screen?

Windows logon screen? Blue bar scrolling?

Is safe mode accessible? Last known good available?

Service Pack of XP?

Make/model of system?

Collapse -
Info needed
by jlsprinkle / September 15, 2012 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you see?

Black screen with cursor that is in the mi8ddle of screen that is were it stops loading xp with service pack 2. Safe mode goes to the same black screen with the cursor.
Last Known configuration ends at the same place.
XP with Service Pack 2.
home built with a Asus MB and Intel i5.
4 GBS of Ram.
Anything else will be given that is needed to get this problem solved.
Thank you

Collapse -
Some sound advice
by mchainmchain / September 15, 2012 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Info needed

Go here and download this version of Ubuntu LTS. Be sure to burn the .iso file to a cd-rom to make it bootable.

This is a direct link to the .iso file (694 MB) here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso

If this is not the file you need then the general download section here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Why an older version of Ubuntu? Version 12.04.1 requires a steep learning curve to use for those used to XP operation.

Why use Ubuntu as a Live CD? No changes are made to the XP system when run as a live cd bootable disk. XP will never know Ubuntu was there as long as care is taken to not install it.

You need to copy and paste important files off the drive and save them before we can go further in helping you.

An important clue will pop up if Ubuntu tries to start, but produces an error. This would likely mean a hardware fault (other than the hard drive) such as memory stick or other. Included in the live cd is a program, MemTest, that can be run and check for memory errors. If the hard drive is not readable by Ubuntu, that would be another clue.

Merely copying the .iso file to cd will not produce a bootable cd disk. This file must be opened by a burner program such as http://www.imgburn.com/ to be opened and become bootable.

Once the files are copied off the system drive, then any work needed to get the system running again will not result in the loss of important files.

Important: Ubuntu can tell you what hardware is installed on the system such as processor type, speed, manufacturer of hard drive, size of drive, model of drive, etc. Once we know what we have, we can proceed without guessing or damaging anything more than already has been done.

An option to get this system up and running again is called a system repair. This is different from a new or clean install in that non-windows files are left intact with the exception of need to do the entire Windows Updates all over again. If going this way, back up first, then repair, then make sure SP3 is done.

There is the possibility of malware in the system; hence the failure to completely boot. In that case, a clean install is recommended vs. a repair install.

Do let us know what the results of running Ubuntu as a Live CD are. Were you able to save important files?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
even my system crashed and does not boot up
by buybook / September 14, 2012 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: XP not booting up.

my system crashed when i accepted a cookie from mallxs.com same instant it crashed, is it some coincidence or some virus. i had to format my system

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to unlink the url on 09/16/2012 at 11:54 AM PT

Collapse -
Re: cookie
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 7:39 PM PDT

Accepting a cookie is harmless. A cookie is just a text file that does nothing. But htat website might have been doing more while you pressed OK.

And, sorry, I didn't click the link on my Windows system to find out what happened. Hope you'll understand.

Kees

Collapse -
Should be always posted as hxxp://
by mchainmchain / September 15, 2012 5:22 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!