HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

XP not booting after adding ram

by ozboi4u / August 30, 2007 6:53 PM PDT

Here's an odd problem.

My computer had 512mb of RAM (2x256mb Corsair TWINX-3200C2 DDR) DIMMs. Today I bought two 1gb sticks (Corsair Value Select 3200C2 DDR) to take my total up to 2.5gb of ram.

When I installed the new ram, XP decided that it would no longer boot. It got up to the "welcome" screen and then went blue-screen on me. I can't tell what it says because it reboots too quickly for me to see.

So, I tried taking out the original RAM and only installing the new stuff in the motherboard's (ASUS A7V880) recommended configuration. Doing this meant the computer would not even get to the boot screen, instead falling over half-way through boot (as seen in safe-mode) and restarting.

The interesting thing is that when I use only one of the sticks, XP will start fine. Swap them over to test them both, and XP still works. Add the old ram in with one of the new, and again XP works fine. The problem only occurs when I install both sticks in any configuration.

The motherboard is rated up to 4gb (1gb in each slot) and XP is the same, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. The RAM itself is working fine, just not both together.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP not booting after adding ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP not booting after adding ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Duplicate post.
by Kees Bakker / August 30, 2007 6:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, your answer is simply.
by YankeesNYwins / August 31, 2007 4:43 AM PDT

Your computer can NOT handle two GB's of ram. Just because a manufacturer puts slots for two GB's does NOT mean the motherboard can handle two.

Use what works and if it is only 1.5 GB's of ram that sounds about right.

I have a powerful E-6700 Intel dual core PCU and a platinum P6N MSI motherboard and can only use 3 GB's of ram.

Collapse -
(NT) Please see response in the PC Hardware Forum
by VAPCMD / August 31, 2007 8:14 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.