Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP not bootable & not recoverable

by GnazzTrouble / February 1, 2014 3:25 PM PST

I've searched for a solution, but no post match exectly my trouble. The problem started after uninstallation of AVIRA free and installation of COMODO and a tentative of uninstallation of COMODO. The start of win xp stop after a win logo screen, with a blue screen referring possible troubles with the HDs or controllers. Nothing is changed in my hardware and all works fine with boot from another drive, cd-rom and from a linux installation. I've tried to check and fix mbr without solve the problem. The first attempt to recover with the cd of win xp pro sp2 stopped at the request about bluetooth incompatibility, but it was impossible to reply, because the keyboard was frozen! Then, after some intervention (I don't remember what), the system halted after win logo screen, showing a black screen with the mouse arrow at the center, with the mouse and keyboard frozen! I tried to restore a register (by a boot from another drive) obtaining again the same blue screen. Blue screen or black screen with Keyboard and mouse frozen, these are the two scenario. To chkdsk the disk is ok and no problem are showed during its use by another OS installation. I've tried also disconnecting all, but audio and Graphic cards. Mouse is Logitech optical-usb, while the keyboard is an PS/2 one. Memory check showed no error.
My pc is old enough Happy : Motherboard Matsonic MS8137C w/ KT VIA 266, amd Athlon 1600, 1Gb of RAM. I apologize for my bad english... Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP not bootable & not recoverable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP not bootable & not recoverable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Adding information
by GnazzTrouble / February 1, 2014 8:00 PM PST

The boot of win xp stop also trying in safe mode (or other available),equally freezing mouse and keyboard.
The error code showed in BSOD is: 0x0000007B (0xF78C6528, 0XC0000034, 0, 0).

Collapse -
All this and I can't find the type of hard drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Adding information

I can create 0x7b with SATA drives. Why is so well discussed.
Bob

Collapse -
Not so clear...
by GnazzTrouble / February 2, 2014 3:13 AM PST

Thanks for your reply!
I believe I don't understand your comment, 'cause differente language (I'm Italian)
I need perhaps sentences more accurate and less concise... Sad
Anyway my motherboard support IDE drives only, and al work fine under other OS installations (other drive, partition, OS).
I googled a lot for BSOD 0x7b error, without finding any applicable solutions and without finding the corresponding parameters (0xF78C6528, 0XC0000034, 0, 0).
I'm thinking to a boot sector virus... maybe I've to find a good antivirus for that...
Of course I wouldn't format, if possible (and further I'm not definitely sure the format make this trouble disappear).

Collapse -
OK, IDE = CHECK!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Not so clear...

Next up. You write "XP" so let's create 0x7b with an IDE drive. Easy to do. Here's how.

1. Partition and format the drive before you install XP.
2. Make sure the drive is over 127GB.
Blammo.

I hope you can see I am trying to guess why it's doing this but unless members tell all, any guess may be a bad one.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
bob wants to know
by James Denison / February 2, 2014 11:22 AM PST

the size of hard drive having the problem, how many gigabytes is it?

" Nothing is changed in my hardware and all works fine with boot from another drive, cd-rom and from a linux installation. I've tried to check and fix mbr without solve the problem."

Bob is telling you that statement is pointing to a problem with the hard drive, or how you have it configured (partitioned and formatted)

Collapse -
no change
by GnazzTrouble / February 3, 2014 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: bob wants to know

Ok, thanks for explanation :-), I've understood Bob

The drive has undergone no change in its configuration. 250 GiB with principal partition of 50 GiB for win XP installation and boot up, a secondary one of 160 GiB also dedicated to Windows, both formatted NTFS, plus other two partitions for linux opensuse installation on the remaining GiBs. No errors are reported by CHKDSK and all partitions are well readable and writable.

The problem arose after an attempt to uninstall Comodo antivirus...
I remember vaguely, at that time (three weeks ago), to have seen a BSOD autorecovered and then to have stopped with "win patrol" an application autoinstalled at the start, referring about something like dump of memory...

Ignazio

Collapse -
Looks like it should fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: no change

XP on its own would fail given the details so far. This is going to be hard to fix from what I'm reading so far.

XP had it's day and is going to drain folk dry over areas like this. Now maybe you left out some detail that would have me write more but as it stands, XP does BSOD on drives over 127GB for many reasons. 0x7b is very common and the real mystery is why MSFT left this one uncorrected for over a decade.

If you feel it can be fixed Microsoft is still offering support for a fee for a little longer. In this case I'd just start over as details seem to be slim.
Bob

Collapse -
Your possible solution may be
by James Denison / February 3, 2014 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: no change

to use GRUB as it's boot software which won't balk at the larger drive and have it see and add the XP to it's bootloader. Since you already have a Linux version on there, I suspect you may have been booting XP already from GRUB? If that was true, or even if that was not true, use a Live DVD or CD, preferably the Linux system you already have to reload GRUB. If it will see and boot to the Linux, even if it doesn't see the XP at first, you can run the grub-update and maybe it will pickup the XP.

If you are able now to boot into the Linux, then open Terminal and run grub-update and maybe it will bring XP back for you.

Collapse -
Answer
As a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 8:42 AM PST

Pull out this HDD and slip in some 120GB or smaller drive and quick install XP. No drivers are really needed just as a sanity check. If that fails then there is a hardware problem. Use of Linux or such is a nice test but this hardware is old enough to work with Linux but not with Windows XP (notice that we are not talking about SP1, 2 or 3.)
Bob

Collapse -
I do not believe this is hardware issue
by GnazzTrouble / February 3, 2014 5:57 PM PST
In reply to: As a test.

Linux boot correctly via Grub choice (I'm working now with linux);

I've deleted grub with fixboot and fixmbr without solve the problem; note that boot.ini looks ok and all files needful for start are where they have to stay (at least I believe it!);

by Linux live CD, I've reinstalled the same grub obtaining no change: linux start, Windows XP not;
note that the win XP sp2 boot process stops after that progress bar black&white complete and after that successive coloured windows logo screen with short progress (repetitive) bar disappears;

the boot of Windows XP sp2 from another IDE HDD (8 GiB) I created few years ago is ok, the same for a CD boot.

When I try to restore the Windows XP sp2 installation, then, at the same time of boot process, it appears, in place of BSOD, a black screen with a mouse arrow in low resolution at the center, with keyboard and mouse frozen; the same happen if I boot in safe mode (with typical word at the corners);
when I make changes in some dll or sys file or when I restore an earlier, but recent, register (working from the other win xp boot drive), then I return in the BSOD scenario.

Now I'm going to run a grub update, we will see...

thanks a lot for helping me!
Ignazio

Collapse -
Re: XP won't boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 6:03 PM PST

I'd use the Linux tools to delete everything on that XP partition and the XP SP2 installation disk to reinstall XP. If that fails it's some hardware issue with the disk. If it succeeds, you have a working XP again.

Kees

Collapse -
extrema ratio
by GnazzTrouble / February 3, 2014 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Re: XP won't boot

Sure, but I would avoid to erase or format the partition, I've not a backup... I'm a little bit lazy and I would prefere not to reinstall all programs. Further, I'm curious to know the problem and I think the solution has to be a simple one (a Colombo egg, you know? Happy )

I resist some day again... Happy

Ignazio

Collapse -
If SP3 is installed
by James Denison / February 4, 2014 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: extrema ratio

Create a slipstream XP installation DVD that already has SP3 incorporated into it.

Collapse -
Nobody seems to have suggested a repair reinstall..
by the_wolluf / February 3, 2014 10:47 PM PST

Which would be my first port of call in this situation - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

I also always use XP install CDs with SP3, IE8 and MP11 slipstreamed in using nlite (which i think is still available) to avoid compatibility issues with the installation being repaired and the install disc.

The other approach I might take is a 'manual' system restore. If you boot from something else (like BartPE CD) with write access to the XP partition you can restore a set of registry hives (windows\system32\config folder - SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM and DEFAULT) from the backup in System Volume Information folder picking a set from before the problem started (backup originals first.)

Collapse -
third approach
by GnazzTrouble / February 4, 2014 4:24 AM PST

I tried yet the last approach, without success... Sad I would retry...

The "repair" with XP cd (I named it "restore" by mistake) bring to black screen with mouse arrow frozen at the center.
I would avoid new XP installation to not reinstall all programs...

Ignazio

Collapse -
Until all the details are known
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: third approach

After all this I can't find the exact XP CD you have and the PC in question in fine detail. It's not funny that what some consider a small thing like a USB Printer or other USB thing plugged in can cause the above.

Even an old IDE CD DRIVE caused this once but we have many posts and little PC detail. Writing it works with Linux is fine but do you want to fix Windows? *sorry but no one I know can fix it's problems. but we could try other ideas but I don't hand them out for fear of making it worse.
Bob

Collapse -
yes
by James Denison / February 4, 2014 8:30 AM PST

slipstream. SP3 is blocking the SP2 installation disc I think.

Collapse -
SP3
by James Denison / February 4, 2014 8:28 AM PST
"note that the win XP sp2 boot process stops after that progress bar black&white complete and after that successive coloured windows logo screen with short progress (repetitive) bar disappears; "

Is this on an XP system that was upgraded to SP3?
Collapse -
sp3, maybe, is involved in the issue
by GnazzTrouble / February 5, 2014 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: SP3

add and resume some info:
Motherboard Matsonic MS8137C w/ KT VIA 266, amd Athlon XP 1600, 1Gb of RAM
two IDE HDD (see above for details)
Sound Blaster Z audigy2
NVIDIA Geforce 5600 (su AGP 4x)
CD/DVD ROM (read and write) Pioneer 111...
wirless internet card pci
for usb 2.0 port pci card (my MB have only 1.0 one integrated)

Yes, my win XP is recently upgraded to sp3 and I thought this be a problem 'cause I have only an SP" installation disc, but I don't know what to do to eliminate sp3...
this is a good idea to understand how an installation disc can't solv the boot problem...

I 've now installed Grub2 from my opensuse distribution; the effect is that the logo screen stay more time and then the succcessive blaxk screen don't show the arrow mouse
I've make an attempt to repair register restoring manually the sam, securiy, system, default and software files, reobtaining the same blue screen.
We have ever the same two scenarios.

I've check the memory.dmp file relative to the fisrt blue screen (the autorecovered one) reporting a problem with ctoss2k.sys file (a creative driver) and I' remember to have eliminate it for some reason; now I reintegrate it without obtaining any effects.

Now, I would try to solve the problem of sp2 vs sp3 incompatibility during win xp repairing or installation.

best regards!
Ignazio

Collapse -
you won't like what I must tell you
by James Denison / February 6, 2014 3:31 AM PST

Although there may be some other ways easier out of this dilemna, most follow two well known pathways. The first one is to slipstream SP3 into an XP installation disc and make that your new install disc. Internet search can find you plenty on how to make one of those.

The second and probably the most followed path is installing windows XP again but to another folder. My favorite was always to "WINDERS", LOL. I've heard others use some 4 letter named folders. Wink

That gets you a windows system that boots up on the same drive in the same partition and with all your files available. From there you can either reinstall all the third party programs that no longer work on top of themselves, but first try them out by running their exe or com file and see if they'll run "as is" and if so, then can just create the links needed for Start Menu and/or Desktop. On a FAT32 partition that works OK sometimes, less so on NTFS partition due to "permissions" which can get in the way.

In that second scenario the most typical is to reinstall all old programs, pull your My Documents folders into it, basically build it back to where you want it and finally when all is there, nuke the old windows folder. If some installs are looking for installation information, you can direct them to the old INF, System, and System32 folders in the old windows. ONLY after you have it back the way you want it do you remove the old windows folder and it's subfolders, if you need the room.

Collapse -
half
by GnazzTrouble / February 6, 2014 9:44 PM PST

I need to think about your proposals... an half defeat or an half victory?! Happy
Sure, I have to go out of this trouble

thanks a lot!
I will inform you about any choice
Ignazio

Collapse -
Answer
to end
by GnazzTrouble / November 19, 2014 4:30 PM PST

... and was the time to throw in the towel...
So, I slipstreamed SP3 with WIN SP2 cd, than I tried to repair without success...
Hence I formatted my win system partition (after backup via linux) and reinstalled Win SP3 by slipstreamed cd. Now all it's ok.
A positive note: whit this SP3 installation the typical problem of SP3 upgrade vanish!

I apologize for my written English (I'm from Italy)
Best regards
Ignazio

Collapse -
thanks for the comeback, much appreciated
by James Denison / November 20, 2014 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: to end

we do like knowing the end result.

Collapse -
Answer
check this
by vembutech / January 14, 2015 5:31 AM PST

Hi, normally the BSOD issue will occur, because of the hardware changes, BIOS settings changes,changing the antivirus, system files corrupted. In this case better you try the machine in the SAFE MODE option or LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. If this two options didn't work means you can try SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT and type this command to restore your PC. Command is "rstrui.exe" . If this all didn't work means you can try repair option with the help of the OS disk. Also check the below link.
Hope this above will help you.

BSOD STEP BY STEP FIX

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?