HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

XP Networking wizard problems

by ScarletW / January 22, 2005 7:30 AM PST

I have connected my eTec ADSL modem router on the host computer, and seem to have internet connectivity on the host, but when I try to run the Network connection Wizard, the Wireless connection is not seen. Consequently, the network cannot be established. I've tried connecting the router both by ethernet and USB and the problem is the same for both.

If I go to Network Connection properties to check the 'Enable other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' I get the message 'An error occured while Internet connection sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start.'

Also, I can receive email messages through OE, but not send them. I don't know if this is related to my networking/configuration problems, but any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Networking wizard problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Networking wizard problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Normally you would not use....
by Michael Geist / January 22, 2005 7:52 AM PST

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) while using a router. Let the router bear the burden of assigning IP addresses to the network devices. Simply set your PCs to "Obtain their IPs automatically" under TCP/IP properties of Network Properties.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response, but...
by ScarletW / January 22, 2005 8:06 AM PST

I just checked, and they are set to obtain automatically already, so I guess that's not the problem.

Collapse -
The other place I would look....
by Michael Geist / January 22, 2005 9:19 AM PST

is in the router setup program to see if wireless functions have been turned on.

Collapse -
I have looked...
by ScarletW / January 22, 2005 9:05 PM PST

at the router setup utility but don't really know how to check whether wireless functions have been turned on. There is a page for wireless configuration, but but as I don't know what the settings should be and they are not self explanatory, I don't know whether they are right/wrong/on/off.

They are:

SSID : Conexant
Channel : 11
Security : Enable encription is checked
Key length: 64 bit is checked
and then 4 Key numbers, none of which are checked.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks

Collapse -
Was this router/modem supplied to you....
by Michael Geist / January 23, 2005 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: I have looked...

by the ISP? If so a call to there help desk may be worth a shot. Without the manual I would just be guessing as to the location of the broadcasting feature.

Collapse -
Sounds like a misunderstanding to me...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 12:12 AM PST

If you have a ROUTER, then "'An error occured while Internet connection sharing was being enabled. " it appears to me that you misunderstand what the router's intent is. You would not need to use ICS at all.

Maybe you need to review the basics first?

With a router, no "host" would be setup. The router does the bulk of the work for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Look....
by ScarletW / January 23, 2005 4:36 PM PST

what I do know is that my network is not working as it should, and I'm trying to find out why. I understood that this was a Help Forum, but quite clearly, I'm not going to get the help I need from here, so I shall go elsewhere.

Bye

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.