General discussion

XP network detection speed

I have two networks - local and internet. Also I have two PCs, one with XP, one with 7. When I change network cable from local network and plug it into internet (and vice-versa) the first computer detects the network type much slower then computer with windows 7. It takes about a minute for the first, and about 3-4 seconds for the second one. Any ideas to increase speed for xp ?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP network detection speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP network detection speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
One minute isn't bad.

I have to wonder about this setup.

I have 3 computers, two Desktops and a laptop. I have both local network and internet available at the same time using a wireless router.

I am not sure why unplugging/disconnecting/reconnecting is necessary.

Mark

- Collapse -
This one is a deep subject.

All apologies in advance but what controls the times from one scan to the next of the IP and more is in the registry. I have never found a GUI (see google) that reveals all this to us much less found a single web page that covers this in one site.

Moving on. If you want to start researching this the KEYWORDS (see google) are WINSOCK REGISTRY ENTRIES. Put those into google.com and you can begin learning that there are many tunable entries in the registry.

I am not suggesting you change any of them but wanted to arm you with the KEYWORDS to begin your research.
BOb

CNET Forums

Forum Info