Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp name resolution issue

by llib.reffahs / November 11, 2008 11:39 AM PST

I've got a frustrating problem with name resolution on a xp home sp2 box. When the box boots, it gets a dhcp address and name servers fine. I can do nslookups successfully. I can talk to any service I've tried on the internet using ip address, but I cannot do so using names. For example, nslookup www.google.com gives me the expected result, telnet [google's ip] 80 gets me connected, but telnet www.google.com 80 fails because it can't resolve the name.

I've reset tcp/ip with netsh, I've reinstalled "Client for Microsoft Networks", I've rebooted many times and flushed DNS cache manually.

Anyone got any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp name resolution issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp name resolution issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 8:19 PM PST

check your HOSTS file.

It is located in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, and has no file extension. It can be opened with Notepad, but be careful making changes and re-saving as Notepad will attempt to give it a .txt file extension. Use the Save As type for "All Files".

The HOSTS file can be used to 'redirect' named web sites to either some malicious web site, or most likely to 127.0.0.1 which is your own computer. That method can be used to prevent browsers from visiting known malware or adware sites, because the browser will always check the HOSTS file first, before searching the internet.

If that is not it, perhaps others here will have better options.

Mark

Collapse -
forgot to mention
by llib.reffahs / November 11, 2008 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure, but

Sorry, I forgot to mention - the hosts file is empty. I can put an entry in for google, and google lookups work by name. But still no luck after removing the entry from hosts.

Collapse -
8 monthe later and I think your close to helping me
by Dossmc / November 10, 2009 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure, but

I have XP mozilla ff browser and I to have one site I can not load

https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib
I found the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host file
did a save as all
and yes the redirect IP :127.0.0.1
BUT I dont know what else to do ?

Delete the orignal
Add the one I am trying to reach..

After 10 months research I am convinced this is the dead on problem!

(any help would be appreciated, Its the second time this year I have needed this site to file my Unemply I Claims.....

Kudos!---- Your the first I am convinced to have the solution.

I HAVE "EXHAUSTED HOURS on this fix

Thanks is advance D

Collapse -
Tell me more.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 4:59 AM PST

Just to clarify, you cannot get your browsers to open or display https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib

You have found an entry in your Hosts file and the relevant line says;
127.0.0.1 https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib or
127.0.0.1 tennesseeanythime.org
or similar.

You don't know what to do now.

Is all that correct? If I have made an error, tell me clearly what the error is.

If that is right, then re-open the Hosts file, find that entry, and just delete that whole line. Re-save the Hosts file, (remember, select Save As, then select the File types as "All files", and make sure there is no extension to the file name, just Hosts).

However!!

That web site you are trying to access is an https web site. That means it is a secure site. If your Firefox Browser settings are not right, then you will not be able toaccess this site anyway.

In Firefox, go to Tools > Options, then the Advanced tab. Select the "Encryption" sub-tab, and make sure the following is right;

Protocols:
Use SSL 3.0
Use TLS 1.0

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
ok here's what I did (THERE ARE Other files IN THIS folder
by Dossmc / November 10, 2009 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: Tell me more.

You have found an entry in your Hosts file and the relevant line says;
127.0.0.1 https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib or
127.0.0.1 tennesseeanythime.org
or similar.

You don't know what to do now.
CORRECT ..HOWEVER THERE IS NO ENTRY (S) for websites in the host file.
Just the EXAMPLE: (see paste)
For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
and then it had the
127.0.0.1 (which I deleted) and then did the FOLLOWING

select Save As, then select the File types as "All files", and make sure there is no extension to the file name, just Hosts).
WITH A MY BAD SAVED AS A TXT FILE to open in NOTE PAD.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN PATIENT.

THANKs for the prompt response (caps are just to help you follow my aactions not yelling.

it is an https web site these are correct settings

In Firefox, go to Tools > Options, then the Advanced tab. Select the "Encryption" sub-tab,
Protocols:
Use SSL 3.0
Use TLS 1.0

Collapse -
OK
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 6:30 PM PST

I deleted your duplicate post.

Can I just confirm. When you try to visit that web site at https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib/ , do you not see the page in the image below?
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/222/capturegk.jpg

If not, what do you see?

You say you saved the Hosts file as a .txt file in error. I need to check that you still have a proper Hosts file, (no file extension), installed in your system.

Open My Computer and navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. Highlight that folder. Open the Tools menu option in the menu along the top of My Computer and select Folder options. In the new window select the View tab, then select "Show hidden files and folders". Whilst you are there, de-select "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply then OK.

The Hosts file should be displayed, without a file extension. Highlight it, right click it, and if there is an option for "Open with", select that then select Notepad. Make Sure that the option "Always use this application to open this type of file" is not selected. If there is only an Open option in the right click menu, select that.

Your Hosts file should look like the example below. If it has been modified in any way, it may have additional entries;

Hosts File
========
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There may be other files in that folder, but you are only interested in the Hosts file.

If you have a Hosts.txt file in that folder, you can delete it. It serves no purpose.

If your Hosts file looks different to mine, tell me what the differences are. If it is not very long, copy and paste the contents of the file into a reply here.

Are you able to visit this site in Internet Explorer? If not, what messages do you get?

In case this is malware damage, tell me what anti-virus scanner you use, and when did you last run a full scan? Do you use any other security measures, in particular Spybot Search & Destroy, and Lavasoft's AdAware?

I would download, install, run, update, then scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-malware.

If none of that works, try Microsoft's guidance for Internet Explorer;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444.

Mark

Collapse -
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
by Dossmc / November 16, 2009 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: OK

When you try to visit that web site at https://labor.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/wuib/ , do you not see the page in the image below?
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/222/capturegk.jpg

NO I SIMPLY RECEIVED THE TIMEOUT MESSAGE

You say you saved the Hosts file as a .txt file in error.
I DID
Your Hosts file should look like the example below. IT LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE IT WITH THE EXCEPTION THAT I DELETED THE LINE BELOW I READDED and did save with out the EXT

127.0.0.1 localhost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There may be other files in that folder, THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE I DELETED BY ACCIDENT "it MAY HAVE BEEN THE ISSUE.

If your Hosts file looks different to mine, IT WAS EXACTLY LIKE YOURS

Are you able to visit this site in Internet Explorer? If not, what messages do you get?

In case this is malware damage, I WAS RUNNING AVG_ I UNINSTALLED AND INSTALLED THE LATEST VERSION
Do you use any other security measures,I HAD NOT UPDATED OR RUN ANYTHING IN A WHILE SO I RAN Spybot Search & Destroy, for the free 10 DAYS and THEN UNISTALLED IT AND INSTALLED Lavasoft's AdAware.

II HAVENT DONE THIS STEP YET Malwarebytes' Anti-malware.

I have a lot of Trouble with my COMPUTER SINCE, that I have been trouble shoot...I have been doing much CLEAN UP...I realized alot times I forget to Unistall Apps and Software when I update..I ALSO RAN REVO UNISALLER...Nice tool

TODAY I have managed to get online...I am wireless My neigbor runs his computer with my router so I CAN CUT COST at the moment..TODAY I SUCCESSFULLY am on line with a Steady COnnection and

THE UNIMPLOYMENT WEBSITE CAME RIGHT UP AND I SUBMITTED MY CLAIM>>>>>>

THANKS FOR THE TIME AND PATIENCE YOU SPENT WITH ME AND THE DIRECT AND EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS ON TROUBLE SHOOTING MY ISSUE...I FEEL ACCOMPLISHED AFTER A LONG BATTLE...and yes, I will be more STRICT using my spyware...SINCERELY

Dossmc

I

Collapse -
Congratulations
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 17, 2009 1:54 AM PST

Well done on sorting it out, and thanks for reporting back.

I'm not sure where the problem lay, but it seems there was malware on your system which you have successfully cleaned out. Good work.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?