Windows 7 forum

General discussion

XP Mode not recognizing computer names on home network

A month ago I assembled a new computer (after 11 years with the old machine that was still successfully running Windows 98 SE). I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and install Windows 7 from the beginning. As an early adopter, I knew I would be in for some troubles, and indeed Win 7 is a mixed bag, mostly positive but with a few nagging incompatibilities, some of which continue to cause distress and a lot of time and effort in the attempt to overcome.

Many of the incompatibilities are solved by running the offending applications in XP Mode, which is both ingenious and "clunky" for lack of a better word. Basically, you download and install an entire copy of Windows XP SP3 and run it as a virtual machine inside Windows 7. Microsoft has gone to some lengths to make this solution work, although I'd call it still a beta implementation.

I confess that I'm mostly baffled by how shared network resources are handled in XP Mode. I have a small home network (cable modem, router, three other computers running Windows XP, my old Windows 98 computer until it can be retired, and a networked laser printer). After some research, I was able to get the printer to work applications in XP Mode (I'll spare the rant about how poorly implemented this particular process is).

However, I can't seem to recognize any of the other computers on the home network from XP Mode. There is no problem accessing the Internet; Internet Explorer runs well. I joined the home network workgroup by name (it told me I had successfully joined, just as if I were using Windows XP), and I can see the workgroup name but not any of the computer names.

Curiously, I find that I am able to ping the other computers on the network when in XP Mode. However, I am unable to address them by name. Is there perhaps a bug in XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC in terms of resolving network names? That seems unlikely, but why else would I be able to ping them (it recognizes their addresses) but not see their names?

I really want to get to the bottom of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Mode not recognizing computer names on home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Mode not recognizing computer names on home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Victory of sorts

In reply to: XP Mode not recognizing computer names on home network

For the record, I achieved a victory of sorts (my favorite corollary of Murphy's Law is that if you fool with something long enough either you will fix it or break it). I should have realized that if I could ping the other computers on my home network I could also reference them by IP address (thank goodness I use fixed IP addresses on the network rather than DHCP). The solution was to reference the shared folder by its computer's IP address. I could add a Network Place for the shared folder and reference it, for example, as \\192.168.1.105\SharedDocs. Now I have no problem running my incompatible application in XP Mode.

I have to say that in some ways XP Mode still isn't quite ready for prime time.

Collapse -
need your help

In reply to: XP Mode not recognizing computer names on home network

i just installed windows 7 RTM and windows xp mode RC. its really fabelous but i cant seem to bring up network in xp mode. i am using NAT for xp mode virtual PC and i cannot ping any of my network computer from xp mode. applications installed successfully and i can see all my local resources (drives) in my computer. some ip address is assigned to xp mode virtual pc but i cannot seem to ping any computer on my network.

please help

Collapse -
RTM = Lock.

In reply to: need your help

For now we will lock posts that are about RTM. These are not released to us common folk and MSFT supplies those that should have it with support.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!