HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP memory/speed upgrade?

by smoker13 / July 4, 2010 11:58 PM PDT

I have a Dell computer with XP Home edition.It has Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 CPU 1.6 GHz 1.59GHz, 512 MB Ram. I wanted to purchase a new computer but will lose many of my programs that will be very expensive to replace, some that are no longer compatible with new 64 Bit machines. Can I upgrade The memory and speed of my computer? I would rather put the money in this machine and save my programs. Thanks smoker13

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP memory/speed upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP memory/speed upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Upgrading RAM is easy . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 5, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

Go to crucial.com and input the machine specs.

Upgrading the speed, as in processor, is harder as you will probably need to replace the motherboard to match the new processor. With that goes new RAM.

Why would you want to buy a new machine with 64 bit? Lots of new machines out there with 32 bit.

Collapse -
memory/speed upgrade
by m coste / July 5, 2010 2:54 AM PDT

It seems you may have an older system. As such you may need to update the system "bios" in order to utilize more memory. You didn't mention if there are any open memory slots on the mainboard. If there is an open slot you may be able to use more memory with no trouble.
A word of advice: it is usually best to use the same brand/type/speed of memory in each slot.
If there is an open slot, take the memory stick you have out. Take it to your local/favorite computer parts store and ask for one more like it or equivalent. Using all standard safety precautions install both and boot-up. With luck you double your memory. If the system won't boot-up, remove the new memory and go back to the way it was. Remember you will probably not be able to return the bought memory.
Also consider saving up some $$$ and building yourself a new system from the ground up. Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.