Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Local Area Connection Icon Exclamation

by timwerx / December 11, 2009 4:56 PM PST

I recently re-installed XP in my old notebook. Although the connections work as ever, including normal internet connection, the Local Area Connection icon in the System Tray now has the "warning" symbol with exclamation point. I can find nothing wrong with the connection behavior, but I'd rather not have the "warning" showing. What can I check or do in order to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Local Area Connection Icon Exclamation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Local Area Connection Icon Exclamation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 12, 2009 1:41 AM PST

a Local network eg, two or more computers connected together?

If so, and if it is working properly, you can remove the icon from the System Tray by going to My Network Places, list the network connections, right click the right network in the list and select Properties. There will be an option there somewhere to display that icon.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by timwerx / December 12, 2009 6:38 PM PST
In reply to: Do you have

Thanks. I tried that -- unselected the option to show the icon -- but it remains there in the system tray.

Strange...

Collapse -
Yes strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 12, 2009 6:52 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but...

When you hover the mouse over that icon what displays?

What I mean is, does this icon match any of the network connections you have listed in My Network Places, and if so, what type of network is it?

If you right click the icon, what options do you see?

Mark

Collapse -
Network Connection Icon
by timwerx / December 12, 2009 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: Yes strange.

On hover, it says "Local Area Connection," the connection speed, and the condition - that it is connected.

The icon matches one under Network Connections, and shows whether or not my ADSL modem is connected. I do not have a home network set up.

On right click, a menu opens showing:
Turn Off
Condition
Restore
Change Windows Firewall Settings
Open Network Conditions

(I am translating from Japanese, so the actual English used may be a little different.)

By the way, using Restore doesn't help. A results notice pops up saying I may have a "restricted connection" and to see the systems administrator. Yet, the actual connection works fine.

Thank you for your trouble.

Collapse -
(NT) Are you the System Administrator?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 12, 2009 10:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes....
by timwerx / December 13, 2009 3:35 PM PST

I am the so-called "Administrator." Except for re-installing XP, nothing is different from before when it worked normally....... which makes this all the more baffling.

Collapse -
Can we have a recap?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 13, 2009 7:21 PM PST
In reply to: Yes....

Tell us more about your network connections.

You have an ADSL modem. Is there a wireless router as well?

If you list all the connections in My Network Places, can you take a screen print of that window, upload it to some image web site like ImageShack or PhotoBucket, and post the link to the image here.

Ahh, I have just seen this will be in Japanese. I'm not sure that will help me then.

Any particular reason why you had to re-install XP timwerx? When you re-installed I assume you installed all the drivers as well, motherboard, network card, and so on.

I'm thinking that all I can suggest is this. If this is the only network icon in the System Tray, and if it corresponds to the 'only' network connection listed in My Network Places, then may be you should leave things as they are. It works, so the crossed out icon is just an annoyance.

Mark

Collapse -
More
by timwerx / December 13, 2009 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: Can we have a recap?

There is no router -- no "network," wireless or otherwise. Just the modem going in.

No, they're in Japanese, or I'd make a screenshot. There are just three -- "1394 Connection", "Local Area Connection" and my ISP's connection.

I re-installed to clear up an unrelated problem, and installed all the drivers I know of, but no network card. Perhaps I should look into this.

It is just a very minor annoyance. I mainly brought it up to see if I can clear it up and learn something useful. I thank you for all the time and trouble.

Collapse -
Solved
by timwerx / December 13, 2009 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Can we have a recap?

I went through some Japanese forums about this and found that this was/is a common problem with the Japanese version of XP SP2. The fix is to simply turn off the "warning" that you're on a restricted or failed connection.

Thanks again for your interest and effort. Indirectly, you helped me find the solution.

Collapse -
Good work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 14, 2009 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.