Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP - Limited Users and access to all software

by philcreeklab / July 15, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

I have installed my software with two accounts present - both System Administrator accounts. I changed one to a Limited Account - it now no longer can access some software.

My system - 120GB EIDE Drive partitioned into three drives. I do NOT put my applications on C: as it was an insurance policy against windows crashes that all data would be eslewhere. I find I can re-install the OS and get back to work quickly without "re-installing" the apps as theu are available out on the D: drive. It shortens the time to being able to restart my work when I have a crash. (Nuff said on this topic)

End result is the Limted User now doesn't have rights to everything needed to run the apps that were fine when it was a System Admin account. Similarly, new LImited USer accounts can't run my generic office-type apps.

Can apps and files be readily switched to being accessible by Limited Users or is that hard wired into the system and I need to re-install everything with both System Admin and Limited USer accounts present in order to receive full benefit of the security and reliability that is impliedly built into XP.

Thank you for constructive comments in advance. Please do no comment on my hard drive config - I am not going to change any time soon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP - Limited Users and access to all software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP - Limited Users and access to all software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This started in 1995 ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

When Windows 95 introduced the registry and shared DLLs. You can't (for most programs) move a drive over and start using the programs on said drive. Your plan at first sounds ok until you try it with Windows. I am not commenting on your hard disk configuration, but share why and when this sort of setup began to fail.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
I have to agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

You've said, "Nuff said", but it seems to me you are making life so much more difficult for yourself for no reason.

You have explained that your drive is partitioned into 3 drives. Many people will say this is a good idea, and I don't disagree. But the reason you have given really doesn't add up. You said you do not put all your applications on C as an insurance policy against windows crashes and losing data. But the data you are losing if Windows crashes affects all of the library files, (the *.dll's), that many applications store in the Windows/System32 folder and other files that are stored elsewhere on the C drive, (eg Documents and Settings>%username% folders).

When Windows crashes, and you do a re-install, you risk losing all of those files, and so the applications on D, or E, or whatever become unuseable. Even if you do a repair install over the current OS, you may lose the current Document and Settings files.

If you had said that you keep all applications on the C drive, and store all important documents, letters, photos, videos, music, etc on the other drives, that would make sense. But don't expect re-installation of Windows on your current setup to work everytime with the applications on the other drives.

Having said that, perhaps "Taking ownership" will help.

Have a look at this MSKB article, and see if it helps you;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Good luck

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?