Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP keeps crashing

by aighead / July 15, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

My windows XP keeps crashing and getting the blue screen. I have not installed any software or hardware in the last 30 days. About a week ago I received the blue screen. Rebooted and now it blue screens at least once a day. Sometimes it states BAD_pool error other times no error. The memory errors change each time so I have been unable to search Microsoft. I have run a number of spyware products but it has not solved my problem. On reboot it states that windows and stop abruptly and requests that it be able sent to microsoft. The response is " A driver problem" Since I have not installed any new drivers I desire to check the drivers on my system. Is there an product that allows me to check all drivers against the windows XP product?
Thanks

Allan Greenberg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP keeps crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP keeps crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
xp crash cure
by bassbeatz / July 15, 2005 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: XP keeps crashing

Hi Allan,
The best option to do first is type in the run box "msconfig" (with-out the " ).
This will open up your system configuration utility,click the right hand tab named start up and uncheck all of the boxes then reboot.

Now for a quick test of the o/s run a defrag and scandisk,if you get through this then it sounds like a driver software issue,i.e. graph x card driver,virus software depending what is starting with your pc.
The main issue I have had with the bsod in xp is a corrupt AGP\graph x driver\main board driver,software that's loads at start up that needs removing and reloading.

Also try booting in to safe mode run any anti virus + spyware programs you have making sure your internet cache is cleared and delete any cached internet files and turn of system restore (turn back on before leaving safe mode.

Kind Regards
PR

Collapse -
I had a similar problem
by latinaloca320 / July 15, 2005 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: xp crash cure

I had the same problem you did and tried everything. Sometimes doing a system restore to a period when your computer was running fine helps. It could also be a virus. That's what happend to me and I couldn't get rid of it. I had to finally wipe out the hard drive and reload the operating system along with the other software programs.

Collapse -
XP keeps crashing
by randarac / July 15, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

I had the same problem, but I had recently installed a software for downloading music, videos, etc. I unistalled it and solve the problem. In your case you can:
1. Try a previous restore point.
2. Unistall and reinstall memory
3. Check de Registry with something like Registry Mechanic.
4. Delete all cookies from IE.
5. Turn off the System Restore in the Control Panel, System, System Restore.
5. Unfragment the hard drive.
6. Try now, if the problem continue
a. Run msconfig and unmark one by one the program until the problem stop.

Good luck

RandaraC

Collapse -
XP Crashes
by MarkinTO / July 15, 2005 2:17 PM PDT

Sounds like a memory problem. Seen this before on tech calls.

Your computer is old 'No'? It's filled with dust-bunnies and smoke and cooking greases?

Goto Radio-Shack & buy a can of contact cleaner. Carefully remove your memory & then use the spray (quite a bit of it) to spray out the memory slots (keeping in mind, it will drip out of holes in the computer case, so put newpaper underneath the machine before hand).

Then, using a lint-free cloth of some nature, soak it in either the contact cleaner or, rubbing alcohol and wipe down all those lovely gold contacts on the memory silms.

Re-insert the sims and your machine should be happy again.

You might also want to clean out all the other dust-bunnies while your at this*.

*Don't use a vacume as this can generate way more than enough static to kill your computer, use a feather duster/air-blaster and/or damp rag instead.

Mark

Collapse -
Hardware failures
by Marcel Bakker / July 15, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

Hi, I sometmes run into machines with errors like this when I'm out to do repairs. Several issues can exist, but the more frequent ones are with PC's which are about 2 years old. On some motherboards there are issues with Electrolytic Capacitors which seem to die due to overload, temperature or bad design and dimensioning (cheaper parts!!!)At a certain moment these machines crash for no reason at all, sometimes don't even boot up. In some cases you can check the capacitors visually to see if this could be your problem. You however have to open the case and look for small aluminum cylinders(usually with a plastic jacket and a shiny top) These must be flat and shiny, if they've gone bulgy or show some brown kind of muck on them they are defective and have to be replaced. Usually this is a costly issue where replacement of the motherboard seems to be cheaper, however, replaceng a 2 year old mother board may require replacement of other hardware, due to modernisation. And it will always require re-installation of XP and applications, unless you replace the board with an identical new one. I do occaisionally rework the motherboards if I can't get a replacement and re installation requires more than ample time. And 9 out of 10 run happily ever after. You do however need a qualified repair tech to do this for you and always negotiate a replacement price beforehand. It usually takes me about an hour to replace 4 to five of these capacitors, including disassembly of the motherboard.
Re installing windows usually takes more than that! and at 50 bucks on labour and 2 bucks on parts it's a steal!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!