Computer Help forum

General discussion

XP issue

Here it goes...
I had a windows xp pro sp2 disk with no key. I read that I can get the key from the unattach.txt file on the disk. I went ahead and wrote down that number and tried to put xp on the new 750GB hard drive in C:
It wouldn't take the "key" and so I had to shut down the computer.
I get another copy of windows that I had before but was told it was a beta copy. I had previously had trouble with my audio DAW not working correctly. (long story)
This is XP Pro SP1. When I went to install this copy to see if previous problems were in the past and not the present on my DAW, the install said I had to create a partition with no more than 132GB of space. ??? So I tell it to and then when I get all the updates I check the size of my hard drive and it says 132. It also sayss it's volume H: and that my 80billion in one card reader is c through G.
I put the disk back in and go to the repair and it asks me which volume I want to repair and/or log onto. I also noticed something the computer did before I changed the hard drive due to a virus. Two win32 cmd windows opened up then closed. I do not have the original drive hooked up anymore. How do I go about wiping this hard drive and is it possible my virus got in the bios? I believe it was the "antispywaremaster" virus. I got virtumonde and virtumonde.dll when this went down. I noticed in the registry on the old drive, mssgrs folder showed up in the microsoft area of the software tree everytime i hooked up to the internet. I could delete it but it would return on internet hookup. after a while on the old drive I could boot into windows then after 30 sec or so I would go blue screen where it would do a mem dump.

Lost and confused.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unfortunately

In reply to: XP issue

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're using a pirated copy of Windows, and so helping you would be in violation of the forum rules.

I'll probably request the topic be locked as well. If I'm mistaken, then take it up with someone who has a little "M" logo by their name.

Also, for the future... PARAGRAPHS! Learn them, love them, and for the love of the gods, USE THEM!

Collapse -
The "beta copy" licenses are now expired.

Time to get the real thing. You'll want the newest XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD so you won't run into that old 127GB limit noted at http://www.48bitlba.com
Bob

Collapse -
Another possible option

If you're trying to replace the old HD with new one and the old one was working. If so, then use the HD makers copy over s/w to transfer(mirror copy) to the new HD. There's nothing illegal about that. Everything else you mentioned seems to fruitless as I suspect you either lost the key if part of an OEM system, should be present as a decal on the system case. -OR- contact that OEM vendor for a replacement key or purchase at reduced cost a new XP OS. Otherwsie, you may have to buy an OEM version from the likes of http://www.newegg.com along with some h/w as well to be legal. AS mentioned any BETAversions are no longer supposed. You can contact MS for ther SP2 disk for free or small cost or use a friend as this is allowed for updating the XP SP1 versions. the last option si to buy a full retail XP SP2 release is still found.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.