General discussion

XP isnt recognizing all of my drive

I have a 200 gig Seagate Hard drive that I just installed XP on. During the format process it only formated 32 meg. If I recall, shouldnt there have been an option to enable XP to see all of the drive?
Since we cant do a dos Format and partitioning what do I need to do now to se the rest of the drive. Im guessing Ill ahve to re-isntall XP again.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP isnt recognizing all of my drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP isnt recognizing all of my drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check jumpers on the back

of the drive. Some come allowing the limitation so the drive can be used in older systems or with partition formats limited to 32 megs. Perhaps this jumper is on your drive. Most work best with an 80 conductor cable and the jumper set to CS (cable select).

- Collapse -
Actually

Cable Select is often highly problematic when it comes to installing an operating system. Much better to explicitly set a drive as master or slave.

- Collapse -
Thanks and I'll keep it in mind

I've yet to have a problem using CS with a proper cable. I don't mix HDs with atapis, however. When I first install and OS, I never have a second HD in the box with it. When making externals, CS is the only setting I have found that always works.

- Collapse -
One other though

Did you format at FAT-32? If so, XP will only allow 32 gigs.

- Collapse -
silly me

No, I had inadvertantly set the jumper to 32 Meg limit

CNET Forums

Forum Info