Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp intternet explorer add-ons dont work

by billbod50 / December 20, 2008 11:21 PM PST

hi every time put uo internet explorer i get this up
internet explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled
but when i check in manager add-ons thay are all enabled can any one help please thanks william

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp intternet explorer add-ons dont work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp intternet explorer add-ons dont work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2008 11:23 PM PST

- Does that message come also if you type iexplore in the start>run box (+ OK)?
- What's the content of the shortcut you use to run it?

Kees

Collapse -
internet explorer add-ons not working
by billbod50 / December 21, 2008 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Internet Explorer

when i type the same into run it cant find internet if i right click the icon all i get is open run and the rest of the bits with it like scan with copy sendto rename thanks william

Collapse -
Re: addons not working
by Kees Bakker / December 21, 2008 6:09 AM PST

If I type IEXPLORE in the start>run box, Internet Explorer starts. If it doesn't with you, something is wrong. But unless you give the full details of the error message, we can't tell what.
But there is an alternative. In Windows Explorer browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and doubleclick iexplore.exe (that's in the right pane).

And if I right click the IE icon in my quick launch area I can choose for properties, and in those properties the target is defined as "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and that's all and it doesn't run with add-ons disabled. What is it with you.
Again, if you don't have properties in the list, something is very wrong with you.

Kees

Collapse -
Where are you opening this IE from?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 6:13 AM PST

I assume you are using IE7, (Internet Explorer V7), to check, open IE and goto Help > About Internet Explorer. As far as I know, only IE7 has the option to run without add-ons.

Which shortcut are you using to open this Internet Explorer? Is it the one in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer, (No Add-ons)?

If so, that is what you get, IE without any add-ons. It is a diagnostic IE7 to allow you to see if any add-ons are causing IE any problems.

If you opened IE7 from a Desktop shortcut, then it should open normally, unless someone has switched shortcut icons, and placed an icon from the Start menu I said above onto your Desktop.

You can easily check that. The normal IE shortcut will have different Properties to the shortcut in the System Tools area of the Start menu. Right click the shortcut on the Desktop, and select Properties. If you just have 4 tabs, eg General, Shortcut, Compatibility, Security, then the shortcut has been switched. If it has the following tabs, it is the genuine one;
Tabs: General, Security, Privacy, Content, Connections, Programs, Advanced.

Tell us more.

Mark

Collapse -
IE???
by brlarson / December 21, 2008 6:33 AM PST

Mine was doing the same thing and I had to uninstall IE and re install it.

Why use IE at all? I have found that Firefox is much faster and add ons work a LOT smoother. IE is also much less user configurable and has more security issues.

Collapse -
thanks every bod
by billbod50 / December 21, 2008 5:43 PM PST

hi all it seems it is the antivirus software that has done this norton i will use firefox but ie is working now thanks again william merry xmas to all*******

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.