Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp installation

by PS2_GAMR / April 13, 2006 6:05 AM PDT

my computer which is a compaq presario 5000 series with 900mhz duron processor, 192kb of cache and 128mb of memory. it has a 40gb harddrive. when i try to install windows on it(harddrive is blank).. when i press enter to install windows it freezes. when i press contro alt delete the screen goes blue and it says the following:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

AS WELL AS

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0xCA244688, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0xCA244688)

what can i doo plzz help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM
by Themisive / April 13, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: xp installation

128Mb is not enough to both run XP AND other programmes, you may have got away with it on earlier versions of Windows, but XP is more than a bit of a memory hog.

With all respect to MS, they say it needs a MIN of 64Mb, and RECCOMMEND 128MB. In actual fact you need at least 512MMb, and if you are going to use games or graphics programmes, you will find that you need at LEAST 1 - 2 Gb.

The fact you only have 128Mb is probably why the O/S will not install - there's not enough memory for it.

Collapse -
RAM reply
by PS2_GAMR / April 13, 2006 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM

ok , i had windows xp on the computer for about 2 months. i tried to install a video card(previously running on the integrated video card) i tried to install it and the computer would start to freeze when windows was starting up. video card installatoin did not work by the way.

Collapse -
tell how you are trying to install the OS
by retired / April 13, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

not much info from your post.

Collapse -
how i am installing Os
by PS2_GAMR / April 13, 2006 1:09 PM PDT

i put the windows xp disc in the cd drive. i turn on the computer. and press any key to boot from cd.. i let the disc do what it has tro do then i press enter to install xp on a partition. i delete the exisiting partisition and create a blank 1 to work with and to install xp.. i tried to install the os again.. by retstarting computer and that messge no longer appears. i now get a message when i am installing xp saying that it cannot install several files.

Collapse -
WAG- what kind of hardware you have installed?
by Brandon Eng / April 14, 2006 2:38 AM PDT

I'm guessing that you have some hardware in some pci slots, XP is picking that up, and there's some type of conflict; I'd suggest taking them out, and try installing XP as bare as possible.

You also mention partitions- is there an OS loaded on the other partition? Also, how much room have you allowed for the installation of XP? I believe XP needs a minimum of 3 gigs, or somewhere around that.

You have a vidcard installed? Can you yank that and use onboard vid if possible (not possible on my Asus board which is a real PITA). Again, I'd pull all unnecessary hardware, and make sure there's enough space on the partition you're loading XP on.

fwiw, you can run XP on 128 megs of ram, but your system will crawl. I'd say 512 megs is bare minimum to make using XP worthwhile. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
hardware bein installed
by PS2_GAMR / April 14, 2006 3:42 AM PDT

The hardware I am installing is only the network card. and 2 disc drives. as well as the floppy. i am already running on the integrated video card which is 8mb of memory on it.

Collapse -
Is the NIC in during installation?
by Brandon Eng / April 14, 2006 8:42 AM PDT

As I said, I'm only guessing at your problem. Pull the NIC, 1 disc drive, and the floppy; what do you have to lose at this point? I'm basing my guess on the "IRQ" in the error message; suggesting to me there's a hardware conflict.

Collapse -
other causes??
by PS2_GAMR / April 15, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

couls the causes be the harddrive.. perhaps it is starting to fail and there could be a error in the disc or a bad sector?

Collapse -
sure, could be lots of things
by Brandon Eng / April 15, 2006 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: other causes??

but you haven't said if you've pulled the other unnecessary hardware. Maybe you can boot with a bootdisk and do a C:/chkdsk /r to check the integrity of the drive or use the manufacturer's utility if they have one to check the drive. I think you can d/l the maxtor utility that works on most drives- but you have to get the OS installed first.

Collapse -
something just occurred to me from what you said in a
by Brandon Eng / April 15, 2006 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: other causes??

previous post. "i now get a message when i am installing xp saying that it cannot install several files." I've gotten that plenty of times during a reinstallation; I simply rotated the disc a 1/4 turn and the files would install. Please say exactly what you've done so far, e.g, pulled the hardware, etc. Also, when you say you're working on a "blank" disc, aside from destroying the partition, have you formatted also? I'd just like to be clear on what's going on.

Collapse -
by PS2_GAMR / April 16, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

ok i have unplugged alll unneccessary hardware(network card.. vieo card floppy and 1 of the cd drives.).. still does not workk..ok turn what 1/4 turn?the hard disk?or the cd in the drive?.. and when i say working on a blank HDD i mean formatted..to NTFS and i create a new partition.. so thats what goin on

Collapse -
A 1/4 turn of the cd in the drive
by Brandon Eng / April 16, 2006 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

sometimes you have to do it a number of times during the installation process especially if the disc is dirty- for some reason on my reinstalls, it would get hung up on the same file for some reason. I found that rotating the disc a quarter turn or so allowed the file(s) to be copied.

Do you happen to have another OS installed on the other partition? I'm still going on your error message that there's some kind of hardware conflict.

Some other questions:

Does the cd drive come up as drive letter D?

Does the partition you're installing to come up as drive letter C?

Again, any other OS installed on the other partition, if so, what?

This could be one of those problems that's "simple", but only after you've discovered what went wrong. I may have to call on one of the gurus around here for an assist; I'm running out of ideas.

Collapse -
Looks like bum hardware here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

The Duron or Athlon 800's tend to get a little scorched or the machine has bad ram. Then this sort of discussion happens. Usually they are reluctant to replace CPU, RAM or the motherboard to sort it out.

With all that was done, XP would have installed.

Bob

Collapse -
by PS2_GAMR / April 17, 2006 3:31 AM PDT

ok i got a long story for this one..

i managed to get windows installed again :)...i took out the RAM chip which is 128mb.. the blue screen never came up soo i was hopeful that it would work.. i installed windows got it all set up and i shut the computer down for the night. i shut down my comp and plyugged in the ram i unplugged prior to the installation. The computwer ran fine.. everything was running fine.. for now...the next day i started to install basic programs i need (i.e microsoft weord, digital camera driver.. and i tunes, norton antivirus). i got word on there fine and it asked nme to restart mty computer. i click ok and the computer proceeded to restart. the computer retstarted and when the computer loaded up and it was just logging in the computer shuts down. now this freaked me out so i shut down my comp and started it up in safe mode.. thats where i am now.. it will only work in safe mode. i have run the CHKDSK utility and the HD is fine. i unplugged the ram and when the com[puter starts up the first time after i unplugged ram it checks the memory. and get to 128 less then the normal amount which is somewhere around the 364 i think.. so i unplug it and it says 164 - bad memory error. or something along those lines.. i recreate this message if u need specific details... so now the computer only works in safe mode

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) there was absolutely NOTHING on the HD..zip..nadda
by PS2_GAMR / April 17, 2006 3:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
The bad thing about bad RAM is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

A machine with bad RAM can corrupt the hard disk so we get to start over again and again until the bad ram is fixed.

Bob

Collapse -
ok i got everything working again
by PS2_GAMR / April 17, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

./... the computer runs fine now.... i dont know why.. i left it off for a while and it restsarted fine.. and it has been running fine.. i have restarted it and it still starts up fine... ok question... is it possible that tghe integrated video card could be conflicting with the other video i want to plug in because.. when i plug in my video card and it starts to install the integrated card again it makes the computer retstart itself..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll place my bet on bad ram or motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2006 6:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for stepping in, Bob
by Brandon Eng / April 19, 2006 1:02 AM PDT

I agree with Bob, especially since you've seemed to have narrowed the problem down.

Disable the onboard vid (which may be sucking up resource from your ram), since you have a vid card. See how things go. If things get weird again, I'd change to new ram.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.