HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP install won't resume after reboot

by archp2008 / July 21, 2009 2:25 AM PDT

I've installed XP many times and this is the first time this has happened to me. After XP copyies the files and reboots it wants to reload the cd which, of course, I ignore. Then it just hangs or, ultimately, gives the message, "Operating system not found." I tried the installation with only the one drive connected and tried installing it to a single partition on that drive. Any ideas what could cause this to happen would be appreciated?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP install won't resume after reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP install won't resume after reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of drive are you using
by Steven Haninger / July 21, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

If SATA, you either get to present a driver during the installation process when XP asks for 3rd party drivers or you change your MB BIOS to a PATA compatibility mode. If this isn't your problem, please offer more about the hardware you're trying to install XP on.

Collapse -
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.
by archp2008 / July 21, 2009 5:56 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a new SATA3 TB drive that I received yesterday. I had some trouble getting it to change from dynamic to basic until I fiddled with Vista's Disk Management. I'm still not sure what I did do make it change. Could you please be more precise about how and when you, "present a driver during the installation process when XP asks for 3rd party drivers." Is this when it says to press a function key (F5?). My new drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. In a normal boot the driver seems to load automatically, but often asks for a reboot.

Collapse -
The driver not for the hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Some confusion here

You said something about fiddling with Vista's disk management but you're installing XP?? This doesn't follow normal installation protocol. What you'd do with a clean installation of XP is watch the pre-load after the CD ROM boots for a message that asks if you have 3rd party drivers to install. I believe F6 is the key pressed then. You'd need to have the MB SATA drivers on a floppy disk and not a CD ROM. Most MB installation disks I've seen have utility to makes these disks right from the CD ROM but you'd need to know they are there and dig them out yourself. The other option is to look in your BIOS to see if SATA can be changed to a PATA compatibility mode. If so, you should be able to install XP and then install the motherboard drivers later. If successful, you'd change the MB setting back to SATA, enhanced, or whatever the verbiage is. XP will see the hardware change and set up the driver upon the next boot. That's about all there is to it.

Collapse -
Solved
by archp2008 / July 22, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Some confusion here

Thanks for the help. Asus referred me to the motherboard manual but gave me no directions for finding the SATA controller drivers. I then searched Google for "SATA controller drivers Asus P5B-VM" and the first hit linked me to a site that provided the drivers I needed. The Windows accepted my choice of driver from the floppy and then resumed and finished the installation normally. It's funny that I have never had to do this before. It may have had something to do with the fact that I never installed XP64 SP1 as a single boot setup before, so it had nowhere to go to find the drivers it needed. As regards Vista, my multiple boot system is anything but normal. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.