Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home User profiles

by QuickE23 / November 30, 2004 10:52 PM PST

When I start XP Home I get to the part where you click on a user to log on, only the users are gone. No icon, no user name, just emptiness. Can't get to XP or anything. Was working great one day and this the next. Any ideas short of a reinstall??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home User profiles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home User profiles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / November 30, 2004 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: XP Home User profiles

Boot to safe mode and log in as administrator (no password unless you created one) and see if you can create a user from there. You should also be able to change logon requirements to bypass the welcome screen.

Collapse -
Re: XP Home User profiles
by QuickE23 / December 1, 2004 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: XP Home User profiles

Tried that. still no good.

Collapse -
Well, since you can't
by Steven Haninger / December 1, 2004 6:02 AM PST

get into Windows to check to see what might have corrupted the system, do virus checks etc., you can do a "repair" installation which will not wipe out your data. This is one of the options presented when you boot from the CD ROM. If you have upgraded to SP2 and your disk is SP1 or below, you will need redo your Windows updates. If you're system uses a recovery disk, I am not certain what your options are as these vary by manufacturer. If you have the product ID code, you may be able to borrow a disk as long as they are the same version of Windows and use that. I am not certain of this, however.

Collapse -
Re: Well, since you can't
by QuickE23 / December 1, 2004 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Well, since you can't

That didn't work either. The restore disks are presently in use. Its been a year, nothing really important on it so back to stock we go. BTW its a COMPAQ laptop. Fun,Fun,Fun.

Collapse -
I am having the same problem
by LTHE / December 15, 2004 12:15 AM PST

I am having the same problem with my Compaq 2195. I was working great one night, No users the second. please let me know if you find a solution. BTW did you buy it at BestBuy?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.