Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home to XP Pro

by sluli / January 23, 2008 5:16 PM PST

(Apology:I tried hard to find previous threads to this topic without success since I have a feeling it may have been addressed.If there is such, I'd be satisfied with a reference to it)

I have an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop running XP Home v2002 SP2, 792mHz and 512 MB.
I need to upgrade to XP Professional. I actually need to install IIS which is required by .Net Framework to run ASP.Net. When I looked in Windows components in XP Home (Control panel) IIS was not listed. I know it is listed for installation in XP Pro.I therefore assume that XP Home does not support it.
Situation: I have a Dell Inspiron whose HD has conked out which has XP Pro installed. I have the XP Pro CD's for that.
Can I use those CD's to upgrade the Acer to XP Pro?
If yes,what precautions and advice do I need before attempting this? I will appreciate any input and help.
Slu

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home to XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home to XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't work
by Jimmy Greystone / January 23, 2008 7:12 PM PST
In reply to: XP Home to XP Pro

It won't work, those Dell CDs have been modified so that they will only activate on Dell systems. When you do eventually get XP Pro, and install IIS, be sure to be VERY careful with it. IIS can be a huge security headache if you aren't VERY careful about how you configure it, and if you don't keep it properly patched.

Collapse -
I suppose
by sluli / January 23, 2008 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Won't work

then I'll just have to replace the HD on the old Dell. If I do that will those CD's install XP Pro from scratch (vs. re-installing)and will they not question the new drive? (I'm not clear what the CD's examine to decide whether to work or not - i.e. decide if Dell sytem or not)

By the way your note Jimmy hints/suggests that the upgrade I'm contemplating would work on another Dell running a Home XP OS, all else being the same as in my original question. Am I right.

Thanks all the same for clearing up my basic question.
slu

Collapse -
Just links about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: XP Home to XP Pro
Collapse -
Thanks
by sluli / January 24, 2008 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Just links about...

gentlemen,this answers my questions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.