HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home Problem: Start > All Programs Menu is Frozen

by wambui1 / January 27, 2008 10:57 AM PST

Hello!

I'm having a very odd problem with Windows XP that started this afternoon. I did not install or do anything to my system, it just happened out of the blue.

The issue is when I go to START > All Programs, I am not able to click on any of the program folders to launch any programs. They are totally frozen and not accessible with my mouse.

The START menu programs are accessible, just the "All Programs" selections are not.

TROUBLESHOOTING DONE:
I admit to having a lot of programs, I thought maybe it was overload. So I went in to Documents and Settings > All Users > Start Menu and I re-grouped the programs into other folders to cut down on the space it took up. This did not help.

I had a lot of things on my desktop and I cleared all those to another drive. Did not help.

Started in Safe Mode, and had no problem at all accessing the START > All Programs area. They worked just fine in Safe Mode. Not sure what this says, but I'm sure it might give someone with more expertise a hint? (I hope so anyway!)

System Specs:
Microsoft Windows XP - SP2 (up to date)
AMD Athlon 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4200+
2.20GHz
2GB RAM

If anyone could shed some light on this for me and help me get back the ability to access my programs from the START menu, that would be wonderful!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home Problem: Start > All Programs Menu is Frozen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home Problem: Start > All Programs Menu is Frozen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should Mention...
by wambui1 / January 27, 2008 10:59 AM PST

I should also mention that yesterday I did a deep full scan with AVG Anti Virus of both of my drives and it's clean. I also ran an a-Squared anti Malware scan and it was also clean. So i don't think this is a virus, unless it's a new and really sneaky one!

Collapse -
Re: XP Home Problem: Start > All Programs Menu is Frozen
by Tufenuf / January 27, 2008 3:47 PM PST

wambui1, Go to Start/Run and type or copy and paste:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK

Restart your computer

Note that the spacing is important.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Worked!
by wambui1 / January 28, 2008 9:16 AM PST

Tufenuf!

That worked like a charm.

How did my registry get all messed up to cause that error? Maybe I should get a utility to help?

Thank you so very much!

Collapse -
Hmmmm, it's happening a lot now
by wambui1 / February 3, 2008 5:38 AM PST

Hi Tufenuf!

Strangely, this problem is happening a lot today. The fix you gave me is also only working intermittently.

I'll run it, shut down and come back up and the problem is still there. Or I'll run it, shut down and it will only work for a few minutes and the start menu freezes again.

What could be causing this problem?

Thank!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.