General discussion

XP Home or Pro?

I want to buy a another computer for the usual home use things, but primarily with most efficient operation for games, music and Net searches.

New ones here (UK) are mostly sold with "XP ... SP2", and Home can be upgraded to Pro before purchase for about $80-$100 on OEM models. (One assumes an adequate overall specification for either to work satisfactorily.)

Not knowing the difference, is there any advantage for going for a Pro version?

Many TIA
Mo

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP Home or Pro?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP Home or Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have a look at

this Compare site from Microsoft;

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

It's going to be personal choice of course, but XP Pro gives more networking features and more Administration options. I have a home network so Pro seemed the better choice for me.

But in my view the important thing is to buy as much RAM as you can afford, (I have 2 GB), and as large a hard disk as you can afford, (220GB here).

Also, a large LCD or CRT monitor if you can stretch that far.

Good luck

Mark

- Collapse -
PRO

Don't bother with Home. Professional is the only thing in my oppinion to put on your computer.

-AInTeL

CNET Forums

Forum Info