Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP HOME LOST PRODUCT KEY

by sandee_acabado / April 14, 2009 2:01 PM PDT

Good noon everyone. Here's how it happened. I went on for a 1 month vacation at our province, when I came home everything in my place was clean, the dust, the trash and even the sticker for my windows Xp Home edition. I know It's also my fault, I should have placed the sticker at my CPU, though I still have my cd for the xp home edition, the question is can I retrieve it from the microsoft? or is there any sites that provide help for this delema?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP HOME LOST PRODUCT KEY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP HOME LOST PRODUCT KEY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You Can Download & Install BELARC
by tobeach / April 14, 2009 3:32 PM PDT

Advisor which will scan and show many hardware & software serial #'s & keys.

Or you can get "Magic Jelly Bean" (Google for it) which will display
key. Note: Many A/V & A/S scanners will flag this as a "hack tool" but it's your hack tool. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
You Can Download & Install BELARC
by sandee_acabado / April 14, 2009 4:37 PM PDT

But will my OS a legit one? Its quiet annoying receiving those warnings that you are running a counterfeit version. But still thanks alot it wont hurt when I try it though..

Collapse -
Ahh, now that is a different problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 8:28 PM PDT

You didn't mention that in your first post.

Only you can tell whether this OS is a legitimate one or not. Where did you get it from, an established and reputable supplier, or the person who 'knows someone who knows someone else who has one for sale"?

When did this problem start and what changed at that time? Has this OS always had these warnings?

Belarc Advisor or Magic Jelly Bean will only tell you the product key that is held on the system. They won't tell you whether it is genuine of not. Only Microsoft can tell you that.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thankyou, Mark!! I Should Have ? More. S :D
by tobeach / April 15, 2009 3:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Should I have posted it earlier?
by sandee_acabado / April 15, 2009 6:57 PM PDT

Actually when I bought my desktop at a known computer store near our area I've seen to it that I buy the legit O/S. Yes you're right mark it is only me who can tell.

The truth is that I used a fraud O/S once that's why I had a delema over it
specially with updates and compatability, reasons why I bought a licenced xp home. But unfortunately I formatted my system without knowing that my product key was missing already.I should have checked the box first before using the cd, placed in my cd carry anywhere case.

And no, it did not have any warnings like that it worked perfectly.

Collapse -
Let's say you bought that licensed XP Home.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 9:03 PM PDT

I have such packages and the CD Key is in the box in the folder that holds the CD or elsewhere in the package. Since you have a receipt and more you can call Microsoft for a new CD Key for cheaper than a new license.

-> But I have better news. I learned that when I install XP that if I register my copy I get extra points. What extra? When I call Microsoft and use the name I registered in they have me on file and I get my CD-Key without fuss.

Call 'em.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks alot guys.
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

Thanks profitt or bob? i'll certainly call them about it. And thats a god news if they would only replace the key without a fuss as you've said after all whats the use of registering your licenced OS if they won't give any terms for that? And if I am not mistaking I did regestered and even made updates.

Thanks again for the troubles I guess this thread should be closed. Besides I should have called Microsoft in the first place.

Collapse -
Checkout PC Wizard 2008
by Willy / April 16, 2009 4:19 PM PDT

Besides Belarc, I use PC Wizard 2008. It will display the true "key code" that would have been found if the MS sticker(COA) was affixed to your system or in book. It's there provided the system is up and running. This not the OEM number but the true MS 25-bit number it requests during OS install. It's far better and offers more details on your system than Belarc, IMHO. Up to you...just google for a file source.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
i don't think so
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 4:57 PM PDT

i already formatted my system, will it be possible to retrieve the key in that instance?

Collapse -
Did you reinstall Windows?
by Slikkster / April 16, 2009 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: i don't think so

If you've formatted the drive but haven't reinstalled Windows on it, there's a very good chance you can retrieve the files necessary to find the product key. If you've already installed Windows again, you're most likely out of luck. Don't use the drive at all if you haven't installed Windows on it. We can point you to free recovery software that might help you out, but it's imperative that you don't use that drive until then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.