Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home Install Problem

by Donita / October 16, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

Bought XP Home to put on an older pc. Put the CD in and it began loading files then I got a very long error message:

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_area

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new insallation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP:0x00000050(0x8oFFFFE1,0x00000001,0x808298F4,0x00000000)

The system(AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz,512DDR ram,asus mobo)along with a Creative 5X DVD Rom and a Lite-on DVD Burner were hardware that was laying around the house, except for the burner which is new, so I put it together to play with XP. My main pc is still using Win98SE. I wasn't sure how to update software that was still to be installed, so I disabled the L1 and L2 caching in the bios. I also disabled the DVD burner, physicaly and in the bios. That allowed me to install after it formated my HD to NTFS. The install was very slow. It took about 12 hrs on my 40g WD HD. After install, the pc runs SLOW. And applications open very slow. Almost 1 full min. to open Device Manager. It takes 5 min. by my clock from pushing the power button until desktop is completely loaded. I,ve tried enabling the caching but the pc just reboots right after the XP screen. I was able to change the drivers for my network card(not connected to the web) and install the latest drivers for my vid card, so it appears the OS is working OK, just very slow. Any ideas what I could do to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home Install Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home Install Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP Home Install Problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 4:32 AM PDT

Was it connected to the internet after the install?

Here's a note about that...

"Important Information

Before the install/reinstallation of Windows XP, I highly recommend that you download Service Pack 2 "for multiple computers" and burn it onto a CD. The download is approximately 272MB. If you choose not to do this step, your system could become infected with a virus or worm exploiting the vulnerabilities that Service Pack 2 fixes. I also recommend that you do NOT have your system connected to the Internet until after the installation of Service Pack 2. This means that you cannot activate your XP installation during setup, but you can accomplish that task following a reboot after Service Pack 2 is installed"

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

The terrible truth is that XP will be invaded if it's a stock XP install. Even a LAN connection can supply a path for the worms.

Missing from your post is if the BIOS is current, how much RAM and MOTHERBOARD drivers...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: XP Home Install Problem
by Donita / October 16, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

The pc was never connected to the web. The bios has the latest update and the mobo has the latest drivers. The ram is Crucial 512 DDR PC133. I burnt the vid drivers to a cd-rw with my main pc then transfered to the XP system. Haven't activated yet incase I have to reinstall. Something else I should mention is when I first got the error message, I then tried to install Win98SE. The install worked untill it reboots and tries to load for the first time from the HD. When the screen to enter you user name appears, I would get 2 quick BSOD's to fast to read, and then it reboots. It would do this over and over until the pc is shut down. After that is when I disabled the caching, formated again in dos the let the XP installation again format to NTFS. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
XP Home and 98 Install Problem = Fix the hardware..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

"then tried to install Win98SE. The install worked untill it reboots and tries to load for the first time from the HD. When the screen to enter you user name appears, I would get 2 quick BSOD's to fast to read, and then it reboots. "

That's a pretty clear sign that something is amiss with the hardware.

Try this. Drop the FSB setting in the bios or jumpers to 100MHz or 200MHz or the lowest numbers.

XP and 98 glide onto good hardware, but neither help us find the part they complain about.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: XP Home and 98 Install Problem = Fix the hardware..
by Donita / October 16, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

I'll give it a shot and let you know. Just a thought. Do you think there's a problem with the HD?

Collapse -
How to test the HD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 5:40 AM PDT

Your post didn't note the make/model, but most makers now offer a "drive fitness test". I'd run it.

Other noteables.

-> http://www.memtest86.com
-> Proper IDE cables on the hard disk. That is... "80 conductor" cables for the higher speed hard disk. I've see people try the 40's but the headaches are all I see.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How to test the HD.
by Donita / October 16, 2004 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: How to test the HD.

It was the "80 conductor". I did have one, but I had the HD plugged in the middle(grey). When I plugged it into the end(black), the pc booted like it should. I then enabled the caching and it booted without a problem. Then I changed the FBS back to 266(actually 133 on the mobo)and it booted just fine. Apps open like they should. By the way, the HD was a WD400 and that too was something I had around the house. I think it's 7200rpm but not sure. Thanks for the info about the cable. Have used these and thought the blue connected to the mobo, but didn't know it mattered which connection had to be used for the master. Now about the sp2. How do I go about d/l it so I can burn it to a cd? The system I'll be using is a Win98SE if that makes any difference

Collapse -
Are things "settling down?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 7:01 AM PDT

As things go in PC-land, putting the boot drive on the wrong spot of an 80 conductor IDE cable will cause XP to ... I really don't know but I rarely see it respond well to that.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!