Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home install over XP Home. . .

by Coryphaeus / May 29, 2004 1:37 PM PDT

My father-in-law's HP Pavallion laptop came with OEM XP Home and all the crap that comes with it. From day one it takes forever to boot because of all the crap that's on the machine. I've suggested that a fresh install of XP Home would cure the time it takes to load. All he uses this laptop for is occasional browsing, email and documents. All that other "stuff" is useless to him.

He's buying a copy of XP Home Upgrade and I'm going to install it. My question is will the upgrade work? I plan to back up all his emails, favorites, addresses, etc. and format the drive, then install XP. I'll do this at my home behind my router firewall, then get all the upgrades via my cable connection. He has dial-up and it would take days to get all the updates on his dial-up.

Besides installing AV, ZA, and the parasite suite, am I correct in assuming I can use the XP upgrade?

Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home install over XP Home. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home install over XP Home. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP Home install over XP Home. . .
by Michael Geist / May 29, 2004 2:25 PM PDT

There could be an issue with the HP supplied disk being used as a reference OS to the upgrade. Why not reinstall with the original disks and remove any unnecessary HP installed programs? A full XP cd may do better than an upgrade. I just bought an OEM XP Home for $81, full version.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP Home install over XP Home. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 29, 2004 10:01 PM PDT

I tried to uninstall the other junk, but a lot was not listed in A/R, or under a different name for some reason.

I did the same thing with my older Compaq and the performance improved ten fold.

Collapse -
''Hidden''.
by Cursorcowboy / May 29, 2004 10:09 PM PDT

1. Several components are not shown in the Add/Remove applet by default. It is possible to show components by editing the hidden file sysoc.inf and remove the word "hide" by backspacing over those letters so there are only two commas between "inf" and the "7".

2. You may also remove all references to "hide" in all of the other lines in this file as long as you KEEP the commas. You will however find there are certain components in the Add/Remove applet which you may not "uncheck" regardless, [Q326731].

Collapse -
by Mark G / May 29, 2004 9:21 PM PDT

wayne if you use the upgrade just have a win 98 disk around as the UPGRADE disk is the full install version allso

Collapse -
1st wipe old version off:) (NT)
by Mark G / May 29, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

Collapse -
I thought about that, I have a '98 CD in case it asks for it. (NT)
by Coryphaeus / May 29, 2004 9:59 PM PDT

Collapse -
by glb613 / May 29, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

Have you tried removing items from the startup list? It is a easy and free way to try and improve your computer's performance. Go to msconfig and see what can be removed.

Collapse -
by David Chan / May 30, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

Wayne,

There is no need to waste $ on buying another XP HE just to get rid of unwanted HP apps.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Try the suggestion by glb613 and use MSCONFIG to stop these apps from running. In particular HP installed a toolbar with connections to all kinds of sites which loads up on boot and occupies the top of the Desktop/Monitor. This can be removed from msconfig and the PC will load much faster.

2. I also use RegCleaner or the older version of jv16PowerTools which both have a great uninstaller or software removal tools to remove such unwanted software.
You can search this forum for links to download them as I recall someone posted a link before.

3. If you have a XP HE cd you can use it to do a clean install on the HP provided you use the CD-Key supplied by HP when it comes to activate XP.

4. The rest of the usual steps to improve performance you already know...scan for parasites, make sure no P2P app is installed...and at least 256~512 MB RAM is installed...DMA is working...turn off Indexing...etc...

Have fun.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?