Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home Edition was not booting....

by nuttron / January 16, 2007 8:41 AM PST

Here goes ;yesterday after having used the computer for a while , i rebooted the computer and all i got was a blank screen....no message or logo about windows starting up...i tried several times to no avail.

I googled with another machine and i tried to make an XP boot disk from the XP dvd , copying the needed files on a linux box but my boot disk was no help , just got the message that this was not a bootable disk.

I also tried to boot up from the XP dvd but it froze at the part that says thad the install disk is checking my computer's configuration or such , my system is in the french language .

I could access the disk from linux on my second hard drive and i boot into linux with a floppy , never touched the MBR.

Lilo is on that floppy and windows is the other option but it would not boot from that either.

I gave up after a while , shut down the computer.

Just for the hell of it i gave it a go this morning and the *<"xx...started.

I proceeded to make a boot disk (do not know if it will work though)

The reason i posted is it will probably happen again and the fact that it would not boot even from the XP dvd ( legit , original ) is not very reassuring could it be a bad sector of the hard drive ? Has anyone had that experience before ?

This is Win XP Home Edition on AMD Sempron 2300 , 512mg Ram 80g Maxtor.

Thank you all for you help. ps= running a virus scan as i post this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home Edition was not booting....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home Edition was not booting....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
safe mode
by linkit / January 16, 2007 11:22 AM PST

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
Does a Linux Live CD work (something like Knoppix)?

Collapse -
about safe mode
by nuttron / January 16, 2007 7:00 PM PST
In reply to: safe mode

When i pressed F8 i had the option to boot in safe mode + all the other options but when i chose safe mode and pressed enter nothing happened and same thing with " choose last good setup or configuration" and no i did not try a live linux cd cause i could browse the windows drive with slackware on my second drive...and windows is running now , i did not dare stop it or reboot it though it is a matter of time before i have to reboot ,windows being windows .

What gets me is that it froze when i tried to boot from the windows dvd ,could it be bad ram ? The virus scan ( bitdefender ) did not come up with anything....thanks

Collapse -
Have you looked at the BIOS to see if CD-ROM
by DarCLew2 / January 16, 2007 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: about safe mode

is the first in Boot-up? I would guess if you have SATA, I've IDE, you may want to unhook one drive and you need only C: and CD\DVD-ROM to install. I have Master/Slave setup and CDROM is master, burner is slave and this applies to desktop computers. If both are the same, it won't work. Both CDROM and The HDD are on separate grey ribbons that go to the motherboard. Check to see if they are tight on both ends. Look at the ribbon ends. a notch one one side and other has a wht looks like a pin blank. The drives are the same, notch is usually top and missing pin is the bottom. Had a ribbon without notches and all holes, trashed them a& got real ribbons. Power has the yellow wire on the outside, reversed for "A" drive. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Also, use something in your CD\DVD-rom, working???
by DarCLew2 / January 17, 2007 1:54 AM PST

It may be no good.

Collapse -
May have been booting and my error
by DarCLew2 / January 17, 2007 6:24 AM PST

"I also tried to boot up from the XP dvd but it froze at the part that says thad the install disk is checking my computer's configuration or such , my system is in the french language." It has a bar running to check to see if there was another WINXP already there. It will eventually get there. Checks config to see if you have enough space to install. Then, you will see items that are being sent to hard drive on the bottom. If there is something there it may ask if you want it deleted like in partitions, this that was D later to fully format you be prompted to select, I think, L. Then it will format. After that is instalation and there will be circles on your left, I think there were 6. It will tell you how many minutes ths will take below those circles. Then it will ask if you want to register it, if done no. and ISP, yes or no. After all of that is Fini when you use those right arrows. Now the Flag & sound with a green field and a recycle bin. I know I missed another language can be added, the time, where is your time zone. It may flicker to black from time to time and if you see a red bar, it is going to reboot, you can hit enter. After the first boot, there is no need to strike a key for the other Boot From CD's. I have very little sleep today and that is the best I can do. Darrell L

Collapse -
It does boot from the cdrom...
by nuttron / January 17, 2007 7:05 AM PST

or dvd ( just one dvdram drive ) it just froze at the first part...and after 10 minutes nothing was happening , no blinking light from the dvd drive or the hard drive for that matter, i installed Slack on the second drive from that drive anyways when slack-11.0 came out ,i had 10.2 before...i will wait until i have to reboot this machine and see what happens , was just wondering if someone had the same thing happen you know , like it will not boot into windows one day and be fine the next day ,weird .

Thank you Darrel , hope you got some sleep , i will post back later if this computer acts up again and i would appreciate feedback from anyone with the same problem-no problem . busby

Collapse -
Final follow-up
by nuttron / January 19, 2007 12:56 AM PST

For anybody that might experience the same problem;

I have noticed in the past that this machine acts up sometimes when coming out of hibernation , like users with passwords can not log in for instance or i would type my password correctly but no dice windows keeps asking me if i lost my pssswd....et...etc.

I also remember now having the occasional black screen when rebooting from Linux (sometimes i boot in Linux (with floppy)when coming out of hibernation).I would shut down the computer and Windows would start normally !

Soooo i think that maybe this has to do with the way Windows manages ram or memory when going into hibernation , creates havoc on this machine.Everything is back to normal , i even tested my XP dvd and it boots just fine , giving me all the options it is supposed to give , so again thank you for your help .

ps=or maybe it has to do with the AMD chip , who knows ?

busby

Collapse -
found the culprit
by nuttron / February 23, 2007 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Final follow-up

I got speedfan installed and if i do not turn it off before closing the session and or going into hibernation , for some reason i could not reboot into windows .
Windows was ok if i waited overnight after it was turned off then it would boot up fine.Just thought i would post in case someone would run in the same problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!