Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Home Edition OEM Formatted my Drive without my permission

by smSpillaz / January 1, 2007 10:44 AM PST

Luckily I did this in a VM so nothing was lost. However this does worry me, because I want to set up a dual-boot with boot camp (For OS X) and I really do not want it to go and format drives without my permission. Does XP home OEM do this? Or does it do this if it only sees one partition?

This is roughly what happened.

"Press any Key to boot from CD" screen

"Windows Setup is loading (Press any key to load a third party driver etc etc)"

NO "Welcome to setup" screen

NO "Partitioning" screen

"Setup is Formatting" screen

"Setup is copying files" screen

"Out of the box experience" screen

And windows was installed, basically without my permission (except the fact that I put the disc in the drive, but what happens If I only wanted to partition the drive or boot into the recovery console?)

I also already had windows installed on that VM.

Should I buy a full version of windows or stick with the OEM version that I cannot get refunded and the apple store "said" was legit.

PS I did this in paralells and I know the setup routines that paralells uses are slightly different... Now the only question is... id paralells initiate the format or did Windows XP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Home Edition OEM Formatted my Drive without my permission
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Home Edition OEM Formatted my Drive without my permission
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 10:47 AM PST

As OEM versions are not meant for upgrade use or even in a VM, all what you note is fine and dandy. Also the OEM versions can be customised to do that.

-> Try the retail version please.

Bob

Collapse -
They're there

I'm guessing you just weren't paying close enough attention during the install. Because I've used retail and OEM discs, and every single time, I'm asked if I want to partition and/or format. It almost never happens that I don't want to format, but the option IS there should I want it.

Collapse -
I think it was paralells
by smSpillaz / January 1, 2007 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: They're there

Well, I tried using my XP pro CD (Not OEM) and that formatted it automatically too. So im guessing it was paralells as it said in the instruction manual "Paralells uses default setup values" But it also said "Pick the NTFS filesystem when prompted" BUT it DIDNT PROMPT ME! It just did it! Btw I'm using a *generic* OEM disc. Ie, not from Dell or Toshiba or anyone else like that. Im also not using the express paralells install, Im using "custom install" but I know paralells could do this, as it automatically sets up the rest of windows.

Collapse -
If you remember, Windows ME did that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 12:09 PM PST

Scared a lot of people back then. The reasons revolve around code in the Windows installer that decides to move ahead without asking under certain conditions.

Sorry, it's not busted. Sadly I can't find a ready article about that but old timers may remember this.

Bob

Collapse -
Well, It didnt format
by smSpillaz / January 1, 2007 7:36 PM PST

Well, I installed windows in a dual-boot and it didn't format the drive automatically (Parallels must have done that) But now I have a slight issue when dual-booting. I installed paralells tools for bootcamp and it works fine and it presents me with that menu (bootloader) which gives the choice of Windows XP and Paralells Config (Which is really just the same as the profile selector to make sure that paralells doesnt screw up the boot-camp partition) Now unfortunately, that menu sometimes hangs and I have to force a reboot. Its nothing big, just a small annoyance. Is there anyway to re-install NTLDR?

Collapse -
I bet Parallels knows this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Well, It didnt format

You paid big bucks for that so take advantage of who would hear this complaint. I bet they know why this happens and how to undo it.

I wonder why one would tinker with NTLDR. I don't see the connection of NTLDR to your menu hang. Then again look at your posts and what a tiny picture of machine and more.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!