Question

XP hangs up on reinstall

Hello,
After I bought a new computer I wanted to reinstall Windows XP on the old one to wipe the hard drive so I could donate it. I booted from the XP disc, deleted all partitions, and began the install, but it hangs up just after "installing devices" at the point where it tells me "setup will complete approximately: 33 minutes"

I've tried powering the machine down and restarting several times. Three times it resumed the installation at the T-39 mark and hung up again in exactly the same spot. Twice it tried to do a fresh install, then hung up at exactly the same spot.

I've seen some answers to similar posts recommending swapping out video cards and the like to, but I am minimally "techie" and just want to be rid of this machine safely. Ideally, I'd like to get XP reinstalled for the recipient. Any ideas? At minimum, I want a clean hard drive. It looks as though the partitions I deleted before the first reinstall are indeed gone, so can I assume it's safely wiped and whoever I hand the machine off to can't easily access my files?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP hangs up on reinstall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP hangs up on reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There are too many causes.

From USB things plugged in to machine issues. It is a gift so why not install Linux and move on?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Something you didn't mention . . .

You did create a primary partition and format it, right?

- Collapse -
Formatted during install?

I deleted all partitions until all I had left was unpartitioned space, then at install I specified that it was to be formatted as NTSC. I presume this formats it as required?

- Collapse -
More likely NTFS.

Unless there are more clues such as "I had my printer plugged in during the install" I think a Linux install would be best. It's a gift so why not hurry it up and move it out?
Bob

CNET Forums