Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Hangs on pci.sys file! plz help

by killa9903 / June 16, 2009 12:12 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

Before any of this happened, I installed Norton Ghost, and switched my DVD drive with a CD burner. I had to restart the computer for some reason, when I logged into XP, all the desktop icons showed and everything, then the computer just froze

So i pressed the "reset" switch on my computer. Then my computer started to run the "Chkdsk" on my hard drive. It found alot of errors and dealt with them successfully. Now every time I restart, my computer hangs at the following file (the splash screen doesn't even show!)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\PCI.sys

Things I have tried:

1.) edited the boot.ini file so that I can see which drivers are loaded by adding:

/fastdetect /noguiboot /sos /bootlog

at the end

2.) Can't boot into safe mode....also hangs at pci.sys

3.) Expanding the pci.sys file from an XP cd to \windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys with the following command

Expand D:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\windows\system32\drivers /y

no luck.

4.) Tried to 'Repair install' booting from the Windows XP cd, then going to "repair this installation". Completed successfully, but still hangs at pci.sys

5.) I have an XP installation on a different hard drive (also installed on this computer) and I can boot successfully into there. So i tried replacing the pci.sys file from that installation, but no go.

6.) Tried switching back to the dvd burner, no go. Tried removing both dvd drive and cd burner, still nothing.

I have no idea what else to try...It just doesn't get passed the pci.sys file Sad

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Hangs on pci.sys file! plz help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Hangs on pci.sys file! plz help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is your XP CD marked SP2 or SP3?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 12:30 AM PDT

If not I see this hang on PCIE equipped PCs. It DOES NOT MATTER it worked before!
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm..that is interesting.
by killa9903 / June 17, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

My computer is SP3 but the cd has no service pack. What do you suggest I do? Can I download pci.sys from a SP3 somehow? Or do I have to burn a SP3 xp cd? If I have to burn, can you please tell me how to integrate SP3 and burn it?

Thanks alot

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 6:53 AM PDT

I stop short of duplicating web content on XP SLIPSTREAMING. I do know the issue all too well.

Read http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16553.html and see if their trick gets around it.

"Under this circumstance, only PCI graphics card can help you monitoring the installation process at this stage. Then, upgrade the version to SP2. After upgrading is successfully completed, you can enable PCI-Express and start using PCI-Express graphics card."

Again, there are MORE FILES TO FIX than this one file so at least the problem is known and the fix too.

Bob

Collapse -
No luck so far :(
by killa9903 / June 17, 2009 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

I made a mistake saying my cd had no service pack. It is a SP2 XP cd.

But on my other Windows XP, which is installed on a different hard drive, I updated it to SP3 from SP2, copied the pci.sys file into the hard drive which is having problems, but it still got stuck on the pci.sys file when I tried to boot.

I didn't try slipstreaming SP3 onto a CD since I'm guessing it would be the same pci.sys file on the CD as the one that is on my working XP installation.

thanks alot for helping so far!

Collapse -
This is starting to sounds as if.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: No luck so far :(
Collapse -
still on same machine
by killa9903 / June 18, 2009 2:22 AM PDT

nope... I haven't moved the hard drive to another machine. It was always on this machine.

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: still on same machine
Collapse -
i should've been more clear
by killa9903 / June 20, 2009 2:56 AM PDT

Hi Bob, I didn't change any partitions or drives either. The XP was always on my Western Digital HD. I have another Seagate hard drive where i have a separate installation of XP. So I have 2 different windows on 2 different hard drives. The one having problems is my XP on the Western Digital hard drive.

Collapse -
The fix I use remains the same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

I approach this as if the drive did move. Now there are trojans and more that could cause this but your posts have not made me think to explore that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?