Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP hanging on the win XP logo screen when booting up

hi, i recently installed a new motherboard gfx card and processor. After this my system was having trouble loading up which i sort of fixed by deleting service pack 2 in safe mode, which aloud me to load windows XP professional in normal mode.

I then decided to re-install the operating system (upgrade, not fresh install) to see if it would solve a few problems like it freezing when detecting hard discs. Also a while ago i had this program called style xp which aloud me to alter the boot.ini file so i could change the picture on the loading screen. This sort of split it rather than change it fully so it gave me 2 options at startup: windows xp, or windows xp(bootscreen) which was the new picture. After i installed the new hardware, when i clicked bootscreen it gave me a blue screen for a second with writing flashing down it then it rebooted instead of loading windows.

When i started re-installing xp pro on my system, it came up with the new picture i used the 'style xp' program to create instead of the standard windows XP professional logo screen which i thought was strange as i thought if it was re-installing it would change everything back to normal, and ofcourse it freezes everytime 2 seconds after the screen is displayed so i can no longer get into windows.

Can anyone suggest anything i could do to fix this? i would rather not delete everything on my hard drives..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP hanging on the win XP logo screen when booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP hanging on the win XP logo screen when booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just FYI.

In reply to: XP hanging on the win XP logo screen when booting up

Reports from "TECH" tell me that "style xp" and SP2 may have issues. I know of no cure other than to toss it and go native.

Bob

Collapse -
If I understand you correctly

In reply to: XP hanging on the win XP logo screen when booting up

This all came about as a result of you tinkering with the boot.ini file (well the latest troubles anyway) so why not try the standard boot.ini file???? Did you make a backup when you changed it? The program you used may have done look for say boot.bak - the date will give you an idea.
Or google boot.ini
Peter

Collapse -
i think so

In reply to: If I understand you correctly

thnx for replys,
im pretty sure it did say it backed up the file, but if i find the correct file, what do i do then? ill have to find it in recovery console right?

I did think of rebuilding boot.ini, as recovery console has that option, this wont whipe my harddrives will it? it will only restore the boot.ini file to its defaults am i right? do u think i should try this?

Collapse -
IF you have a proper XP CD, look at..

In reply to: i think so

The RECOVERY CONSOLE and the BOOTCFG command.

It can make this a little easier.

Bob

Collapse -
thnx

In reply to: IF you have a proper XP CD, look at..

thnx for help, bootcfg fixed it

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!