Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP giving me a "Windows Product Activation Error"

by mike80524 / May 4, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

Hello everyone!

I'm running a Gateway 700GR with Windows XP service pack 2 and i'm having a pretty bad problem...

last night when I turned on the computer and tried to log in, I get this error:

Title bar says "Windows Product Activation Error" with the text "A problem is preventing Windows from accuratley checking the liscence for this computer" and the error code is 080090019.

Any ideas on what to do? I restarted the computer in safe mode and ran Registry Cleaner (I tried to use System Restore but I just get a blank window) and fixed some stuff with that, but the problem persists!

Help me, please! I'm connected on my older computer on 56K but I'd much rather be using the other computer, of course...

Following the suggestions on another forum, I deleted wpa.dbi but not wpa.bak(I couldn't find it).and ran dial-a-fix and the system restore menu is still blank...so i restarted and I still couldn't sign in.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP giving me a "Windows Product Activation Error"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP giving me a "Windows Product Activation Error"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things...
by John.Wilkinson / May 5, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

1.) Once you have created a thread, stick with it instead of re-asking the same question. If you don't receive a response, just reply to your original, bumping it to the top so those who may have missed it before see it.

2.) In your original thread, Bob suggested performing an in-place install of Windows XP, and linked to instructions on performing a repair installation. That, by all means, should solve the problem, so why didn't you give it a shot? A repair installation does not wipe out your programs, files, or settings, but does repair Windows. Provided you have a legal copy of Windows XP, this is your best, and perhaps only, option.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Okay, so I found my windows restore disc...
by mike80524 / May 5, 2006 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things...

...and it offers to re-install windows, deleting everything. It's either that or a command prompt for the disc.

This is getting very frustating! I don't see the options stated on the link Bob posted.

Sorry about the double post. I thought this might have been a relativley unmoderated board.

Collapse -
More information...
by John.Wilkinson / May 5, 2006 3:00 PM PDT

It sounds like you have an OEM copy of Windows as part of a recovery system. In these cases it's up to the manufacturer on how to implement a system recovery option, if they choose to include it. Looking through the Gateway support pages, I found that they do offer a non-destructive recovery option...click here for instructions. That will repair Windows without deleting your files and such. However, you should still heed their advice and create a backup of your files just in case something goes wrong. A related article is here, and a second option can be found here.

Before you try those options, though, you may want to give SFC (System File Checker) a chance...click here for instructions. It's the simplest option that doesn't involve any major recovery operations, so it would be my first choice.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. This forum has 4 or 5 mods that patrol it regularly, plus about a dozen seasoned members willing to help whenever possible. It's not often a post slips through the cracks, but if it does, just give it a little nudge to the top of the list...we'll find ya. Happy

Collapse -
Ok, so I reinstalled Windows...
by mike80524 / May 8, 2006 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: More information...

Well...I purchased an external hard drive and moved everything onto it, then I reinstalled Windows...

Since I have everything I had on my hard drive on the external, is it possible to import my prefrences, file associations, and so forth? What files should I move? I already moved the documents and settings folder, the drivers folder, and the program files over.

Can anyone help?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?