Manually install KB905474
1. Please download the update KB905474 from the following website link:
Note: Since the above URL address is quite long, and separated on two lines. Please copy and paste the URL to the address bar to access it, rather than clicking the hyperlink directly.
2. After downloading the update, please refer to its location. Please double-click the downloaded file, and it will be launched automatically. Please follow the instructions to install it.
If it still cannot be installed, please let me know if you encounter any error code or message. If so, please help capture it using the steps below (Screenshot):
1. When the error message appears again, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 if you receive any other message.
5. Please send the files to this email account: email@example.com in a new email, with the case ID in the subject line.
In the meantime, please proceed with the following steps to reset some system files and registry key permissions. If the permissions are incorrect, this issue may also occur.
Step 3: Reset permissions
This step may take us some time, thus your patience is highly appreciated.
1. Please click the link below and download the tool.
Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
2. Save the attachment to your Desktop.
3. Right click the Reset_subinacl.ZIP file and choose Extract
4. Follow the instructions and there will be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe)
5. Double click the reset.cmd file
6. You will see a DOS-like window processing. (NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted that "Finished, press any key to continue")
After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the WGA Notifications again. If the issue persists, please assist me in collecting the following information for further research.
1. Please click "Start", "Run", type: %windir% and then press Enter.
2. Please find and send the "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the space inside) and wganotify.log files to me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you want to learn more about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:
Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application
Your feedback is very important to us. Please send me a reply on the results for the suggestions above at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, or if there are any questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be glad to help.
I look forward to hearing from you.
From: a Microsoft Support Professional. Darrell Lewis