Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Genuine Software Validation thingy as update

by Odyssey42 / August 4, 2006 11:49 AM PDT

I do understand Redmond's desire to restrict updates to those with a genuine license, which I do have, but surely once it is downloaded and installed, that ought to get it done, no?

Every time I check for critical updates, the only thing that shows is this. I find it hard to believe that Win$ doesn't need one or more other critical updates pretty often. I keep d/l'ing it and installing it and it just keeps coming back as needing to be done. What's the deal here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Genuine Software Validation thingy as update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Genuine Software Validation thingy as update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps, maybe, possibly.....
by Papa Echo / August 4, 2006 12:15 PM PDT

...you need to install a new version of that thingy for every new critical update ? Maybe they have decided not to check your computer for the presence of a valid version of the thingy, but make every critical update to require a new validation software, to outdo those who may "patch" the previous version. As always, innocents suffer.

Collapse -
Odessey WGA may have gone to wrong place and deleted but
by DarCLew2 / August 5, 2006 3:27 AM PDT

Manually install KB905474

1. Please download the update KB905474 from the following website link:
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_748ab7e989c6d7e5c2790770ecce485c69f0926d.exe
Note: Since the above URL address is quite long, and separated on two lines. Please copy and paste the URL to the address bar to access it, rather than clicking the hyperlink directly.
2. After downloading the update, please refer to its location. Please double-click the downloaded file, and it will be launched automatically. Please follow the instructions to install it.
If it still cannot be installed, please let me know if you encounter any error code or message. If so, please help capture it using the steps below (Screenshot):
=========
1. When the error message appears again, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 if you receive any other message.
5. Please send the files to this email account: v-30mkon@mssupport.microsoft.com in a new email, with the case ID in the subject line.
In the meantime, please proceed with the following steps to reset some system files and registry key permissions. If the permissions are incorrect, this issue may also occur.
Step 3: Reset permissions
===================
This step may take us some time, thus your patience is highly appreciated.
1. Please click the link below and download the tool.
http://www.ecs-safe.com/Reset_subinacl.zip
Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
2. Save the attachment to your Desktop.
3. Right click the Reset_subinacl.ZIP file and choose Extract
4. Follow the instructions and there will be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe)
5. Double click the reset.cmd file
6. You will see a DOS-like window processing. (NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted that "Finished, press any key to continue")
After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the WGA Notifications again. If the issue persists, please assist me in collecting the following information for further research.
1. Please click "Start", "Run", type: %windir% and then press Enter.
2. Please find and send the "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the space inside) and wganotify.log files to me at v-30mkon@mssupport.microsoft.com .
If you want to learn more about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:
Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474
Your feedback is very important to us. Please send me a reply on the results for the suggestions above at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, or if there are any questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be glad to help.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?