Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp fax

by chromesn / November 10, 2005 9:47 AM PST

win MCE 2005, modem and cable, so on.

any way to send multiple files on same fax call without scanning the item, then the next, then the next in win xp fax function?. (like adding attachments in outlook)?

or am i going to have to re-install winfax pro?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp fax
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp fax
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might work
by TONI H / November 10, 2005 6:12 PM PST
In reply to: xp fax

Scan each of the pages and save them as files on your harddrive in a separate folder somewhere handy.

Go to the Program Files/and eventually get to the Fax program icon....then copy that program icon to the Send To folder as a shortcut. Once done, you should have it as an option when you right click any file to Send To:

Once you have it as your shortcut, you could then just highlight the multiple files you want to 'attach', right click the group of files, choose Send To: Fax and the Fax program will open up just as the Mail Recipient one would do, and send them as you normally would. They should all go 'back to back' until the highlighted files are finished.

TONI

Collapse -
fax
by chromesn / November 10, 2005 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: This might work

thanks for reply, toni.

unfortunately, it didn't work. get error MSG saying "fax printer not installed correctly"/ very odd.

since i can scan a page directly to the win fax program and it sends, i don't get it (still having to scan each page separately to fax, sending, then going on to next).

guess i'll just re-install winfax pro again: i know it works on this comp, with MCE/xp.

now i just got to find it lol

Collapse -
Troubleshooting XP Fax
by TONI H / November 10, 2005 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: fax
Collapse -
If you can't fix XP Fax
by Alan Copeland / November 10, 2005 11:34 PM PST
Collapse -
winfax
by chromesn / November 11, 2005 6:45 AM PST

toni: the problem seems to be that xp fax doesn't install a "virtual" fax printer: just uses the existing printers resident fax capabilities thru "fax services". winfaxpro does install printer and works fine (installed last night: works as expected. went to website, couldn't find anything addressing my problem)
thanks for your help! Happy

alan: thanks for the info! my issues with winfaxpro (as with any 3rd party app) has always been background processes and size. that prgram looks alot smaller than winfaxpro (at least before install), so i'll prolly give it a try. (i hate having processes run when not needed (dang spoolsv.)
thanks for your help, too!:)

ice cream for everybody!

Collapse -
A thought on faxing Multiple pages
by bryguy5 / November 11, 2005 8:14 AM PST

Depending on your scanner, could you create a PDF/Word document containing all the pages and the fax. I have a HP PSC printer that will allow me to scan multiple pages into one PDF. Although I use a different fax program (Hylafax on Linux)I beleive that you should be able to fax PDF's with winfax.
HTH
Bryan

Collapse -
fax
by chromesn / November 11, 2005 1:59 PM PST

oh, it's easy to fax multiple page fax with winfax: my question and problem concerned XP's built in "fax service".

while it is possible to send with xp fax ("fax service"), it (so far, for me anyway) will not send a multiple page fax without scanning, and scanning each page separately, which re-opens the service, wants to add a new cover sheet ( or not. choice) and redialing the number.

so i did install "winfax pro" (by symantec, to differentiate), and it works fine with multiple page faxes.just took windows "fax service" right off.
thanks for everyones help Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.