Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP extremely slow

by danvegasdeals / July 14, 2010 6:44 AM PDT

Hi All,

Over the last 2 days, my instance of XP has become extremely slow, essentially unusable. However, when I check the resource manager, CPU utilization is at 1%. I'm not sure what gives, as this happened all of a sudden.

Startup takes about 15-20 minutes. Safe mode makes some difference in the execution times, but it is still very slow even in safe mode. For example, it takes approximately 10 minutes to load up the system restore utility. I can get into a command prompt okay and work the file system from there, but that's about all that works quickly. I noticed that there was an automatic update that occurred a day or two ago, since then I think it's been ridiculously slow to use the machine.

This is an 2.4 GHz CPU machine with 2GB of RAM and a 500 GB HD. Anyways, I'm at a loss as to how to try to tackle the problem, so any tips or suggestions would be useful. Should I try an XP repair installation? Could it be low voltage off the PS? Ahhhh help me!!!

Cheers,
Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP extremely slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP extremely slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i doubt it's the defrag
by danvegasdeals / July 14, 2010 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: A start:

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's unlikely a defrag or junk file problem. I doubt my HD got fragmented over the course of 1 evening. I haven't heard the disk head moving all over the place, in fact the exact opposite is true Plain It would also take eons to use the windows utils to remove the junk files. For example, it takes up to 5 minutes just to open windows explorer and copy a file.

Collapse -
Is there anything you have done recently?
by ac1818 / July 14, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

Have you installed new software?

Was it anyway near this slow previously?/b]

I don't think a repair install would work.

Collapse -
Registry Problem
by Melen9 / July 14, 2010 2:18 PM PDT

I used to have similar problems, but after reading numerous windows registry articlesI finally got a hold of the problem.

The registry section of the computer is where all computer activities and configuration settings are stored.The registry section accumulates more and more information through time until it is eventually saturated hindering computer OS from accessing the information it needs from the registry. This causes a great impact to the computer's speed performance.

By employing a reliable registry cleaner that eliminates unnecessary registry build up the computer's speed can be restored to its original state or even better.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I would avoid Regsitry Cleaners
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2010 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: XP extremely slow

They can cause more problems on an unstable system than solve.

Startup is slow, and from your post title it seems XP performance is slow after startup. That could point to different things.

If you are sure that a recent Windows Update has caused this slowdown, then use System Restore to return the system to the condition it was before the update was installed. Then test.

Other things to try;

1] Disconnect any unwanted peripherals before the next startup, eg USB media like hard drives, or any printer connected. See if that improves startup.

2] Review your anti-virus and anti-malware security. We find we need an anti-virus scanner, running in the background all the time, and a couple of anti-malware scanners, which do not need to be running all the time, but are used for manual scans. Do full scans with updated definitions.

3] Find out what is loading when you Startup. Use MSCONFIG for that. Goto Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK. Then the Startup tab and remove any startup files that you don't need to load at startup.

4] Check the Event Viewer, (Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc and click OK), for both System and Application for any obvious errors, and for any process that appears to take a long time.

5] If the hard disk is about to fail, take this opportunity to back up all those important and 'cannot afford to lose' personal files. You may not get a chance later on.

Mark

Collapse -
Turned out to be the external USB HD
by danvegasdeals / July 15, 2010 4:05 PM PDT

Hi Folks,

Turned out that it was my external USB HD. As soon as I unplugged it, everything went back to normal. Thanks for the help, although I didn't see the peripherals post until after I'd figured it out myself :O.

Collapse -
Well done
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 7:40 PM PDT

and especially in sorting it out yourself. We like those sort of results. Happy

Now, about that external USB HD. Does this external have its own power source, and if so, does it have its own on/off switch? If so, no need to disconnect it to bootup, just make sure it is turned off. Of course you would normally use the "Safely remove hardware" tool to do that if XP is running when you decide to power the external down.

The other thing is, why would this external slow down bootup? I have a couple of suggestions, either some anti-virus or other is carrying out a 'quick scan' of the contents during bootup, or there is a corrupt file on the HD which Explorer is having difficulty with, and the bootup waits for Explorer to time out before continuing.

Just some options for you to investigate if you wish.

Mark

Collapse -
To ChristianMemije. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

I deleted your post of a list of Registry Cleaners.

We don't recommend registry cleaners in these forums.

Mark

Collapse -
Overheating
by rhsmith / July 20, 2010 6:20 AM PDT

MEMO FOR THE RECORD

SUBJECT: Computer Overheating

DATE: July 20, 2010

COMPUTER: a. MB= MSI K9N Diamond
b. CPU= AMD/A64 X2 5600
c. Memory= 4G
d. O/S= Windows XP
e. Power Supply= Corsair CMPSU-620HX

On June 15, 2010 my XP desktop computer exhibited a series of problems, primarily a functional slow down of processes, failure to shut down or close running programs, and long wait times to restart. Fearing an impending hard drive failure, the Primary (?C?) drive was replaced and an Acronis partition backup was transferred the new drive. This action was taken on June 18 and initially seemed to have resolved the problem.

On July 17, 2010 the same syndrome was exhibited. It was noted that on startup the motherboard (MSI) splash screen took a long time to appear and remained visible for 3-4 minutes before Windows started to load. The Windows load time took up to 10 minutes and many errors were incurred. Because of the long MSI splash screen wait, it seemed that the Windows O/S was not at fault. The new ?C? hard drive all but eliminated the possibility of hard drive failure. Suspicions were focused on other hardware problems, i.e. the motherboard, CPU, or power supply. My Internet research pointed to overheating problems.

On July 18, 2010, the computer was given a complete and thorough cleaning, including power air blasting and hand cleaning of boards, fans and air ports. The sides of the desktop computer were removed and an exterior household fan was directed to the computer interior. Startup (POST and Windows) was then faster than ever! (From ?on? switch to desktop screen to populated tray took only 2 minutes.)

The system was shut down overnight and started normally on the morning of July 19. Four hours after startup it was decided to do a heat check (using the SANDRA utility). The side doors of the computer were still dismounted and the external fan was active since startup. The ambient room temperature was 77

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.