HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

XP External Hard Drive w/ Macbook Pro?

by lwf630 / May 3, 2006 12:50 AM PDT

I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook Pro. I want to use this as a replacement for my desktop using Boot Camp since its getting on in years. BUT 80 gigs just won't cut it, and I don't wanna spend $100 on just 20 gigs more. I know that when you put XP on the Macs you have to set aside a certain amount of partition space from your harddrive for XP, say, for example, 40 gigs for XP and 40 gigs for OSX, but thats not enough space for me. Can I just hook up an external harddrive to it and use that solely for XP and then use the Macbook's harddrive just for OSX? Thanks for the help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP External Hard Drive w/ Macbook Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP External Hard Drive w/ Macbook Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

While Apple supports their OS on some firewire drive, microsoft does not. You must put the OS on the internal drive. This is NOT Apple's doing.

However you can supplement your storage with an external drive and put your files there.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, but...
by lwf630 / May 3, 2006 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: No. Here's why.

OK, I see what you're saying. If I get an external harddrive, put both XP and OSX on the macbook, can I access the external with both XP and OSX or would I have to format that too for one section to work with XP and one to work with OSX?

Collapse -
About shared access to a "data drive"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, but...

While it's been discussed and documented that OSX has read/write capability to FAT32 drives and read capability to NTFS, XP will only do FAT (various) to NTFS natively.

So for this question the answer is no. Which could be a good thing depending on if that's what you wanted.

Bob

Collapse -
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO USE AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR XP & MAC-
by LaRock2 / May 6, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

VERY OFTEN, WHEN YOU BUY AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE- I'VE RECENTLY HAD TO PURCAHASED 6, SOME OF THEM TO BE SHIPPED TO AFGHANISTAN & IRAQ FOR USE ON PC'S, SOME TO STAY HERE FOR USE WITH MAC'S & PC'S IN A SINGLE NETWORK -THE HARD DRIVE CAN BE USED FOR BOTH WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OR WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 OR MAC OS 10.3 & ABOVE, WITHOUT REFORMATTING. THEY ALL WORKED AS EXPECTED. IN THE HARD DRIVE INSTRUCTIONS, THERE WAS MENTION OF REFORMATTING TO ANOTHER FILE TYPE IF YOU WANTED TO GET THE MAXIMUM PERORMANCE OUT OF THE DRIVES; BUT THE DRIVES ARE SO FAST, THERE'S NO NEED TO REFORMAT THEM TO GAIN A ''LITTLE MORE PERFORMANCE.'' THE DRIVES I BOUGHT WERE FANTOM, TITANIUM SERIES, 7200 RPM, 16MB BUFFER, 8MS SEEK TIME, 300, 320 & 500 GIGABYTES.

-LAROCK2

Collapse -
Calm down.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 7, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

If you were to stop SHOUTING and go back and read the original post you would see that the question was about whether you can use an external hard drive, on a Mac, to hold Windows XP and run Windows from the Mac using Boot Camp.
The Mac running OS X requires that its HD be formatted using HFS+ while a Winbox running XP normally requires the HD to be formatted using NTFS. Once the brand new HD is connected to either one of the two computers, it is formatted to suit the machine it is connected to. ("Most" HD's come formatted for Windows.) On a Mac, the Disk Utility which will initialize the drive as HFS+.
OS X can read and write, natively, to a FAT/FAT32 formatted disk while Windows cannot, natively, read an HFS+ disk. Therefore, if you connect a NTFS drive to a Mac, it will not function correctly and if you connect a HFS+ drive to a Windows machine, it will not work at all.
99% of external HD's (just internal drives in a case) will work on either a Mac or Windows. They are the same drives.
So, while you were nearly correct in your tirade, your answer had nothing to do with the original question and is actually flawed as well.
Hopefully you were not purchasing the Fantom drives to replace defective external drives. That is the really expensive route to take.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.