Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

XP explorer problem

by savagedude_21 / March 27, 2007 2:30 PM PDT

I am writing this for my buddy who can not get explorer.exe to run.

He has had continuious problems with service pack and udate.exe. on this last update, explorer was corrupted and is not able to maintain stability.

he is running XP home SP2, on some computer with no label Silly
Pentuim 4 processor

we tried running C:\windows\explorer.scf
no luck. any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP explorer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP explorer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: XP explorer problem

..reinstalling Service Pack 2 from the link below? Download the file to a clean computer, then burn the file to a CD.. TRansfer it to the "problem" machine and run it . It should repair any problem files. (It's a large file, about 266 MB, so you'll need broadband to download it.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Next, download, install, update, then run the free AVG Antispyware tool from the link below:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by savagedude_21 / March 29, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried?

Ill give it a try

Thnks,
Mike

Collapse -
Hmm
by savagedude_21 / March 30, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried?

that doesnt seem to work. even downloading from microsoft, it says that a file is corrupted within the download. sounds like a full windows reinstall to me :/

By the way, the computer is running where there are 2 copies for windows, one for the kid, and one for the dad. The father's one works, but the kids one doesnt... (mabe some "bad downloads"? Wink )

Anyways, should i go with a full reinstall of XP? and if they dont have the disk, is there any way to get a copy without paying for it? not illegally either.

Thanks,
Mike

Collapse -
If one profile is working without problems...
by Edward ODaniel / March 30, 2007 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

why would you want to go through the trouble of re-installing?

The problem is likely a corrupt profile and that can be fixed by creating a new profile for "the kid" then transferring his old documents, programs, etc to the new profile.

Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326688/en-us

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/en-us

with a new profile he may have to take ownership of his old files and this link explains how to do that:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Collapse -
2 copys
by savagedude_21 / April 2, 2007 1:53 PM PDT

When you start up windows, it says "run windows xp for john" and "run windows xp for harry" i believe thats 2 copies, it does not have the usual pretty blue overdone login screen.

and grif, as far as it goes, every time you start the computer it runs chkdsk. the darn thing only successfully boots 25% of the time

Collapse -
Nope, that sounds like two PROFILES...
by Edward ODaniel / April 3, 2007 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 copys

but not two installations.

When you boot up the computer and use either "My Computer" or Windows Explorer to look at your hard drive(s) how many Windows directories do you find? (I am betting only one)

Collapse -
by savagedude_21 / April 4, 2007 9:40 AM PDT

well, there like 4 local disks but one HD. i havnt gotten around to trying any of these yet.

Collapse -
Download It Again.. And About 'Two' Windows??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2007 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

If the download is indicating that its corrupt.. Simply download the file and try again. I've downloaded that file a number of times and never had a problem but it can happen. Once you get a good copy of the file, burn it to a CD so you can use it later if you ever need it again.

Do you mean that the father and son log on as different users? If that's the case, there aren't two different "Windows" installations on the computer, simply two different user profiles.. User profiles occasionally become corrupt and sometimes creating a different profile/usernamne will fix the issue.

By the way, to attempt to rectify some of those problems, have you tried running "Error Checking/Chkdsk"? If not, then please click on the link below and follow the instructions:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.