Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP dose not reconize cd/dvd drives

by duckman / October 24, 2003 10:38 PM PDT

I have an HP 7995 and several weeks ago I installed a dvd300i writer. It worked fine until yesterday. When I go into device manager and click on either my hp dvd writer or my toshiba dvd player, the device manager says,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP dose not reconize cd/dvd drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP dose not reconize cd/dvd drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP dose not reconize cd/dvd drives
by David Chan / October 24, 2003 10:47 PM PDT

Do not enclose the error message in quotes.
This Forum has a BUG that eats all text within quotes.

Please repost the message.

Collapse -
(NT).Try System Restore back to when it worked.
by David Chan / October 24, 2003 11:02 PM PDT

Collapse -
Re:(NT).Try System Restore back to when it worked.
by duckman / October 25, 2003 12:15 AM PDT

the qoute was windows cannot start --- confiferation in registry is incomplete or damaged(code 19).

I did try system restore and everytime I tried it, it would not make the rollback changes.

Collapse -
Try these...
by David Chan / October 25, 2003 12:41 AM PDT

1. If your DVD Writer & DVD-ROM Drives are missing from Windows Explorer try this fix:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

2. In Device Manager right-click the drives and uninstall them. Then reboot and let XP detect and reinstall them.

3. Check for firmware updates from the manufacturer's website.

4. Reseat your IDE cable.

5. Try setting the DVD Writer as the Secondary Master & the DVD-ROM as the Slave.

6. Check in the BIOS setup to see if the drives are detected properly.

Collapse -
missing CD/DVD drives
by ragent / May 27, 2005 4:27 PM PDT

possible if you are running windows xp and nero that the imcompatiblity issue has happened netween NERo And XP Updates eg SP2 has eaten the device drivers. I would imagine the first thing to try would be to uninstall what ever program you have for burning and reboot see if you can see the drive, or any other program that might have entered the machine since when it worked and when i didnt work, i had this problem identical the other day, it was a new machine putting nero on before service pack two doesnt give any issues, puuting it on after you get a warning of imcompatible go to nero for an updated fix, however loading the update after Nero there is no warning of incompatable.

or try installing the update from nero it should uninstall and reinstall.
regards Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.