Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP doesn't boot after installing new RAM

by Chas666 / September 30, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

I upgraded my RAM from 256 MB to 1GB in the form of two Kingston DDR 512MB modules. My main board is Elite group K7AMA with a 1 GB max and two DDR slots. If I install both modules it doesn't boot, just gets to the boot menu (sometimes). If I use either module alone in either slot it works fine. I returned the modules to Kingston which they were very prompt in replacing with a different build but these don't work either. What's going on? Do I need to change the jumpers [jumpers are greek to me] or the BIOS or what?

Charles

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP doesn't boot after installing new RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP doesn't boot after installing new RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last time. Bios.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

The last time I ran into this I found an out of date BIOS. One of their fixes was to add support of more memory modules.

Since your machine is fairly new, why not have them update the BIOS?

Bob

Collapse -
bios
by sab0900 / October 2, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

Like R.Proffit said, update your bios. You might have to change a setting in your bios to recognize the additional ram.

Collapse -
Another thing
by Themisive / October 2, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: bios

Because DDR RAM seems to be more popular, then you may end up with getting at least one (or more) bad sticks.

Usually if you've only just bought it, it will be replaced no questions asked, though it may well be an idea as Bob says and check on your BIOS. The trouble is that upgrades are NOT all that easy, my own attitude to the BIOS is "if it works, leave it alone".

Collapse -
XP RAM
by Chas666 / October 5, 2005 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Another thing

Thanks everyone for replying to my inquiry.

Themisive: Since each module works by itself, they're both OK, they just don't seem to get along together. I did try to update the BIOS but there were about 37 versions from which to select which was a mystery to me so I didn't mess with it. I'll wait til my son comes so he can do this and also check the jumpers.

Charles

Collapse -
And when it is solved, please
by Ray Harinec / October 5, 2005 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: XP RAM

let us know the solution, so we can add to our knowledge.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Call the board's supplier and have them narrow it done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2005 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: XP RAM

Also, sometimes its a timing issue resolved by a BIOS update. It's a shame the suppliers push the update to being your responsibility to perform, but get them to tell you which one.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?