Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP does not recognize slave drive

by rogerc2000 / August 28, 2007 9:11 AM PDT

Hi,
I have Win XP Prof with SP2, and the PC was recently built by myself.
During the DOS boot process, the system does detect the two drives.

However, when Windows comes up, I cant see the second drive in WinExplorer or in the Disk Management of "Computer Management"

The jumper settings are accurate, and I double checked them.

Any advice?

Thanks

Roger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP does not recognize slave drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP does not recognize slave drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
'The Jumper Settings Are Accurate'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 28, 2007 9:21 AM PDT

Assuming these are EIDE drives, is the primary C drive at the end of the ribbon cable and jumpered to "master"? Is the secondary drive the middle of the cable and jumpered to slave? Have you tried other jumper settings such as both at cable select?

When I perform such installations, I connect only one drive at a time.. Have you tried removing the second drvie, then formatting and installing Windows XP on the primary drive...THEN installing the second disc on the middle connector of the ribbon cable and let XP recognize the new "slave" disc?

Have you tried formatting the secondary disc BEFORE adding it as the slave?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The jumper settings are accurate
by rogerc2000 / August 28, 2007 9:48 AM PDT

The jumper settings are accurate, though I guess cant hurt to check them yet again.

yeah, these are internal drives. Your info helps, but gosh, win98 was much simpler.

I didnt realize that which end of the ribbon cable the drive is connected to matters.

I have not formatted the second drive BEFORE adding it as a slave. Figured I would do that thru the Computer Mgmt interface.

I will disconnect the second drive, make sure the primary drive is at the end of the ribbon cable. (actually, I tried switching the cable ends, and both times, the drive with the Windows booted right up - but wouldnt see the slave jumpered drive).
Then install the second drive on the middle connector and lets see if it works.

Thanks Grif.

Collapse -
Reply to: XP does not recognize slave drive
by thyde9337 / September 1, 2007 12:28 AM PDT

You have not given any information about the hard drives but most manufacturers have websites which advise on the best procedure for installing their drives. Since you appear to have access to the internet try the hard disk manufacturer's site.

T.Hyde

Collapse -
Unformated slave drive
by billzhills / September 1, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

has to be enabled/activated (don't remember the correct wording) in Disk Management (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management).

Then partitioned/ formated ......

Bill

Collapse -
drives recognized !!!!!!!!!!
by rogerc2000 / September 2, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Unformated slave drive

I was able to get the drive recognized. Unplugged both drives, and then plugged em back the same way they were.
Booted up the machine, didnt see the slave drive, launched the Compouter management interface, saw the second drive needed to be "recognized" so I did that, and everyone happy.

Thanks all

Collapse -
Good to hear that
by billzhills / September 2, 2007 11:38 PM PDT

your drives are now accessible.

Real easy procedure to miss.

Bill

Collapse -
Slave drive dissapeared. Help needed
by Peter42y2 / October 31, 2007 10:08 PM PDT

Sorry for my english. I am portuguese.
I was using windows 98. I had 2 hard drives.
Unfortunatelly I downloaded a anti virus scan for windows 98 SE , and windows 98 crashed.
I installed windows XP in the C drive.
The data drive , drive D, remained unchanged.
It does happen it does not show in the windows XP explorer tree.
I have checked computer.., management.., disks.
My drive is there but it does not show up in explorer tree.

Collapse -
my system
by Peter42y2 / October 31, 2007 10:31 PM PDT

Former operating system
Windows 98

the actual operating system

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

the drives

40,01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
34,40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A [CD-ROM drive]
Unidade de disquete [Floppy drive]

ST340014A [Hard drive] (40,02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5JVG38AS, rev 8.54, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD1000BB-00CAA0 [Hard drive] (100,03 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMA8C1443260, rev 16.06V16, SMART Status: Healthy

this last drive does not show up and it worked fine with windows 98

Collapse -
Go get TWEAKUI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2007 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: my system

See if drive D is hidden... Since TWEAKUI is easy to find I didn't provide a link.

Also, installing an OS can cause drives to go missing and empty. Hope you had a backup.

Bob

Collapse -
computer management fixed my problem
by risland5 / September 22, 2010 9:41 AM PDT

Your advice about using computer management and drive initialization worked for me drive was assigned E and id formatting. Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?