Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP desktop blinks ...folder vanishes ...and +

by phantomkernel / September 22, 2008 6:44 PM PDT

Hi, recently installed a few software and removed other ...small things such as browsers and anti virus. At some point my desktop (XP-Pro) started to vanish...periodically blinks (around 1x per minute) and the cursor is lost from previous function (as typing this message). Any open folder closes and another thing ...the option to visualize the "Show Hidden files" does not work ...
I re-installed the graphic card and respective drivers but did not fix the problem.

I open the event viewer and check the periodically events and here they are:
Application: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
System: The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control.

anyone could help how to fix this?
Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP desktop blinks ...folder vanishes ...and +
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP desktop blinks ...folder vanishes ...and +
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 8:09 PM PDT

"installed a few software and removed other ...small things such as browsers and anti virus"

That sounds a bit dramatic to me.

What did you uninstall? Which browsers? if you tried to uninstall Internet Explorer that might explain some of your problems as it is closely integrated into the operating system, and things like Explorer, (the Desktop), can be affected.

Why remove the anti-virus. Which anti-virus? Do you have any other anti-virus installed?

What software did you install?

Have you tried System Restore to return your system to a date before these problems began?

Mark

Collapse -
blinking desktop
by phantomkernel / September 22, 2008 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more

HI,
one of the browsers was Chrome, and the other was Opera. I removed trial of Norton AV and installed BitDefender.
I also installed Adobe pro ....also Windows Media Diagnostic tool....all this was also done in another machine without any problems.

Internet explorer was not touched...
the restore point is a few months away and lots of new software was installed after ...such as Mathematica and Corel that I cannot get again so soon.

I wonder if there exists any tool that can look to an installation OS and check what is missing?!!

Collapse -
Well, you can try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: blinking desktop

SFC, or the System File Checker. You will need the XP CD handy in case it is asked for.

Here's an article on that;
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

You say that you have made similar comprehensive changes on other machines with no effect, but sometimes some systems are less robust than others. That's why I would always make System Restore points before such major changes, and in this case with a number of uninstalls and installations, I would have created a System Restore point before each change, and rebooted after each change, to ensure the system is still stable and working after each.

Those multiple SR points can always be reduced to just the latest one once everything is settled down.

If the SFC does not work, you may be looking at a repair install

Mark

Collapse -
blinking desktop
by phantomkernel / September 23, 2008 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, you can try

Thanks ..the sfc did not produced any output ...
but now is fine ..although I did not restarted the pc since then ...

anyway ...thanks a lot guys.
Here is a suggestion. Windows should have a monitor tool so that users could activate it to monitor important changes such as software installation that may conflict/damage the Win/sys libraries. ...not just after harm is done.
and yes...I'll be doing more SR points ...

Thanks again ...if after reboot the problem persists I shall be back...:)

Collapse -
blinking
by phantomkernel / September 23, 2008 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: blinking desktop

The blinking is gone after rebooting....but the other minor problem did not disappeared ...when I go to folder options and try to set the "show hidden files" ....I set to on and then OK.
but the option is ignored and immediately set to "Do not show hidden files"

This can be overcome by using "Total Commander" but nevertheless is a symptom that something is not well in this XP installation.
Please advise ...and thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?