Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP connectivity

by windoze / March 1, 2007 12:57 AM PST

Hi guys,
Hopefully one of you will have an answer to this as it is driving me potty!!

I use BT Broadband, and have recently replaced my voyager modem for a DLINK DSL924 modem/router.

This was because there are 4 computers in our house, 1 imac, 2 mac notebooks and one pc running windows xp media. As you can imagine we had to fight for the internet, that was when i had the idea to go wireless.

The 2 mac notebooks are using airport wireless connection with no problem. My imac is having no problems connecting to the internet either.

The PC is using an DWL-G122 usb wireless adapter to connect to the router and there in lies the problem. My son plays World of Warcraft online with no problems on the PC, however we can't browse the internet with either firefox or internet explorer and i don't know how to set this up. The wireless setup in xp is a minefield of settings that i just dont have a clue about. In the task bar it tells me that the wireless connection is working and yet i cannot get on the internet with the browsers.

Any suggestions??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's usually a sign of spyware or other damage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: XP connectivity

If WOW works then the basic internet connection is there. What do you use for spyware and firewalls?

bob

Collapse -
Unknown
by windoze / March 1, 2007 1:16 AM PST

Sorry BOB the software on the PC is a mess, it's my son's not mine. XP firewall is turned off at present as i thought the connection was struggling with it. with regard to spyware, i have no clue, there is a lot of software installed at present and i have no idea what any of it is, should i do a clean install of xp??

Collapse -
I usually can clean up with my SIXPACK. Here's a link to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Unknown
Collapse -
Thanx
by windoze / March 1, 2007 1:46 AM PST

Thanx for the tip, i will download and clean up, let you know if it works, Cheers!!

Rod

Collapse -
All In a Days Work!
by windoze / March 1, 2007 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: Thanx

Well i downloaded all the above and went on a spring clean, deleted lots of crap programs and lots of spyware cookies.

Lo,
I am now surfing the internet on my PC!!
Thank you for taking the time to help, appreciate it, your advice was spot on.

Cheers, Rod.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: All In a Days Work!

In my opinion it's easier than a system install of XP.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?