Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xp cd drive filters missing?

by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 2:22 AM PDT

hi guys i need your help with my laptop on xp sp2

after looking throught this forum i can see that this is a commomn problem but all the solutions given havent worked on my laptop,

suddenly i "lost" my cd/dvd rw drive on my hp laptop, i did the usual and deleted the upper and lower filters in the regedit, and it worked, but now it gone again, ive tried re-installing the factory drives from hp and thats done nothing, sometimes it appears as a dvd-ram drive in my computer but it wont read cds, the drive itself is fully functioning and opens and closes and spins and the light flashes but thats it!

ive got a good knowledge of computers and thought it would be an easy fix but this is proving difficult,

if you could offer any help at all that would be greatly appreciated

on a final note, i was told to try boot from cd, at the time i couldnt find my windows disc, so downloaded a simple memorey test and burned it to a disc and booted the laptop from that disc, this was succesful which i presume means the drive is fine,

thanks again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp cd drive filters missing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp cd drive filters missing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

The issue of the upper lower filters repeats as we do some things. I missed where you deleted these this time.

Collapse -
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I missed it.

i deleted the files in the regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_USER

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I take it the registry is now trashed by deleting far too much than the two entries.

I see a reinstall of Windows in your future.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Bob

Collapse -
ouch
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

its possible yes Sad

is there no other way to fix without reinstalling windows?

couldnt i replace the files? or replace the drive itself?

Collapse -
I only have your post to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ouch

It looks like you did far too much damage to the registry. We often find that a "XP REPAIR INSTALL" sometimes works but you could try SYSTEM RESTORE to a day it worked or the day before you deleted so much.

That is, I've never had to install CD/DVD "drivers". In fact you can find thousands of posts where people ask for such but Windows has these already. It is not a driver issue when the CD/DVD drives vanish or do the old "CODE 39."

But you posts lead me to believe you deleted far too much and not just the 2 items.
Bob

Collapse -
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

ok mate i see what your saying

as i will be getting a new laptop in couple of months, im thinking instead of reinstalling windows etc maybe buy an external drive with USB cable for the moment,

what do you think?
thanks

Collapse -
If you did that much registry damage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

Then the USB external should fail. But who knows until you try it.

Collapse -
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

sorry i think ive misslead you,

when i said i had deleted the upper and lower filters in the regedit it was on in the cd drive folder

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318})

there was 2 files i deleted; 1 upper filter and 1 lower filter, i left everything else as is,

sorry for the confusion

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 8:17 AM PDT

I read "i deleted the files in the regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_USER" that you did that. I have seen people do that and this is why ...

OK, do the drives show in the BIOS screens?

Collapse -
bios driver
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

if you are refering to boot order then yes it shows up in the list under floppy disk A

Collapse -
Now try it in SAFE MODE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 12:06 PM PDT

In Safe Mode head to the device manager to uninstall/remove all CD and DVD drives you find there. When done, ok your way out of that and do the usual Start, restart. XP when it boots the next time will redetect the drives unless there are other issues.
Bob

Collapse -
safe mode?
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 7:21 PM PDT

how would i start in safe mode?

also when in normal windows mode there are no cd/dvd drives listed in the device manager

Collapse -
1. Use google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: safe mode?

You can research that with ease.

2. Since you didn't get to Safe Mode, we don't care what shows in normal mode.
Bob

Collapse -
safe mode
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: 1. Use google.

after searching youtube got the laptop booted in safe mode,

went into device mngr and the cd/dvd drive is not listed,

Collapse -
If it is not listed in Device Manager ...
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: safe mode

and still not reinstalled automatically at reboot, there's some hardware issue, most likely. Do you see it in the BIOS setup?

Kees

Collapse -
reboot
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

no it didnt reinstall, i tried to put a cd in the drive (music cd) and again still nothing,

when u say bios, do you mean in the boot options?
i changed the boot option and booted from a cd fine if thats what you mean

Collapse -
after reboot
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

the drive was not automatically reinstalled at reboot

i also tried a cd(music) and this did nothing either

when you say bios setup do you mean boot order? i hve previously changed the order and was able to boot from cd to perform a simple minor memory test this was succesfull

Collapse -
No, not the boot order.
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: after reboot

I mean the IDE-device listing. If it isn't there, Windows certainly won't see it.

Kees

Collapse -
That's telling us
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: safe mode

That there is not a software issue or the damage was too deep to the OS.

-> The test I use to show the CD/DVD drives are gone is to set the machine to boot from CD/DVD and then boot up a bootable CD. If that machine needs repairs the CD never boots.
Bob

Collapse -
so basically
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: That's telling us

i presume its not the cd drive but the software deep in OS, as it has already booted from a disc, correct?

would it be posisble to just use a external cd drive with USB connect?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: so basically

"i presume its not the cd drive but the software deep in OS, as it has already booted from a disc, correct?

would it be posisble to just use a external cd drive with USB connect?"

No. Your assumption is wrong here. About the external. Might work, might not. Try it. But remember that we may not be able to repair the OS on some machines if the internal CD/DVD drives have failed. This was a big issue with older hardware. Newer machines seem to be able to boot and repair from the externals.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Dload21 / August 22, 2009 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

i see what your saying but as im getting a new laptop in couple of months i just need a cd drive as a temporary fix basically, i think if i was to re-install windows, i would loose all info on my laptop which i need for my place of work,

ive looked at buying the same drive and replacing it but i couldnt garantee that it would be the exact same one

Collapse -
Ouch. Did you just reveal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

That you don't backup? I know the drive or machine has failed but with all the things we have today from memory sticks to Google Docs and more why would anyone lose their stuff?

Also, I read this discussion again and never found the model. I found its a hp laptop but leaving out details can hurt. For instance if I read dv6000 or dv9000 then most will tell you about the recall.
Bob

Collapse -
definately
by Dload21 / August 23, 2009 12:06 AM PDT

yes i do, sorry the laptop is HP pavillion DV2000

Collapse -
The DV2000 looks to take
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: definately

A common IDE laptop DVDRW drive. but given the age I suggest you only replace it if you find it for free or cheap. ANY other laptop with an IDE drive could donate such a drive for the test.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?