Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP cannot install my sound card

by Winter Phoenix / December 2, 2003 7:04 PM PST

as it says in the subject title i cant install my sound card and i dont know what make or model it is and i dont have a CD 4 it. I have only had the problem since i compleatly formated my h/d and re-installed XP home, I've looked around the XP disk and i cant find any folder 2 do with drivers. In device manager under other devices it says: ' multimedia audio controller' with a yellow ! ,as well as ' Video controller (VGA compatible)' also having the yelow !. Please if u can in anyway help me i would b v.happy 2 hear from u

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP cannot install my sound card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP cannot install my sound card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP cannot install my sound card
by David Chan / December 2, 2003 7:43 PM PST

Before reformating your HDD you should have looked in the Device Manager or System Information to see the make & model of your Video & Sound cards as well as all other devices so you can reinstall their drivers.

Do you know if they are onboard graphics and sound?
If so then you'll have to reinstall these drivers from the motherboard CD.

The correct approach at this stage is to find out the make & model of your motherboard. Then go to their website and look for the XP drivers for chipset and all onboard devices as well as IDE Controllers.

Install them before you look for other drivers.

If you have an AGP Video card & a PCI Sound card then you'll have to open your PC and get the make and model of these cards and then go to their manufacturers website to download the latest XP drivers.

Collapse -
Multimedia Audio Controller, No Sound Device Installed, etc.
by dinoseer / May 25, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

My neighbor brought over her Gateway Notebook with XP OS on it and she has no sound at all...went to Gateway's site, autofound serial# and downloaded updated audio drivers, which after loading, kicked out a "failure" message...

Under System/Hardware/Device Manager/Other Devices, the Multimedia Audio Controller is the culprit with the Yellow Exclamation Point...Auto searching or selective searching with the only CD Gateway Provided (Recovery+Reformat) with Hardware Wizard yields a big nothing...

Under Sounds, everything is greyed out and unselectable, with No Sound Device, No Recording Device, No Midi Device...

My other neighbor just received an Acer Desktop with XP OS that exhibits the exact same symptoms, only with the PCI Simple Communications Controller under System/Hardware/Device Manager/Other Devices also has the Yellow Exclamation Point, along with the Multimedia Audio Controller...There are no OS discs or anything that came with this computer...There is a sticker on the side that shows this system originally had win98se to start with...I am tempted to load my copy of win98 on there and see what happens, but have no way to go back to XP if that fails to get the sound up and running...

My next step with the Gateway Notebook, is to start an Online Tech Support Ticket and see what they come up with, but I am not holding my breath...

My next step with the Acer Desktop is dependent on feedback I receive here...So Please, you wise and experienced XP users, enlighten a person who has only used win95 and win98 for the past 11 years...

dinoseer...

Collapse -
I read your post twice and can't find the model number
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 11:47 PM PDT

When you post there is a Note that writes "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

This saves time so that the first reply is not to ask for the model number.

Without that I suggest YOU look at gateway.com for the driver then remove the old device in the device manager then try again.

If you skip details it reduces the chance of someone guessing what will fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for your advice, Bob...
by dinoseer / May 27, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

I am just researching possible solutions for computers that I do not own and do not have sitting in front of me at the moment...from the reading I have done here, it seems that I will have to find specific drivers for the motherboard and chipset, if the sound card is on board, or drivers just for the sound card if the sound card is a separate peripheral...To me, regardless of what model or make these computers running XP are, the solution(s) will follow the same general path...

The only thing I have not read or found a solution for is when the PCI Simple Communications Controller has a problem in the device manager...What piece of hardware in the computer is related to this, in order to find a specific driver? If I need to provide a model number for this ACER computer to resolve this, I will have the computer here tomorrow and I will post a new thread to address it...

Thank you for your time Bob and I look forward to future discussions with your experience and expertise...

dinoseer...

Collapse -
PCI communicatiion is... that modem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

That one can be a real horror to find. If such shows up at the service desk the horrible truth is the charge to install the driver (some 120 bucks) exceeds that of a new modem install. If it's the stock modem from some dell you head to dell.com, put in the service tag and try the modem drivers offered.

www.modem-driver.com or similar has more but spending a half hour hunting for a modem driver isn't worth it in most of the US.

Sorry about that, and hope you understand.

Bob

PS. The audio driver story is often that people accept a driver from Windows Update and that breaks the sound system.

Collapse -
Use a search engine
by linkit / May 27, 2007 12:04 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.