Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Can't access wireless; possible hosts problem?

by ezsobre / August 7, 2010 6:47 AM PDT

Hi--I'm running XP SP3. Until recently my wireless worked no problem. However, since I set up Assassin's Creed 2 to work without internet, I've been unable to get the wireless to work.

This is what I initially did: I edited the hosts file and added five lines to the hosts, all coded to "127.0.0.1" which correspond to EA's server. This is a common method floating around the internet so far as I know.

After rebooting I received this message:

"The instruction at "0x7c910cbd" referenced memory at "0x00e11db8". The memory could not be "read."" It was at this point that the internet no longer worked. It finds the wireless networks but just goes into an infinite loop when you select a network. I edited the hosts back to original, but no luck. I still get the Ox7c910cbd message.

Any thoughts on how to get this intrnet working again? I could do a soft re-install to windows, keeping everything else in place, but I'm hoping for something less drastic and time consuming...

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
See If This Fixes The Problem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 7:07 AM PDT

Rename the HOSTS file to HOSTS.txt, then close all browsers, restart the computer and try to access the internet again.. If the machine correctly accesses the internet, then you may have incorrectly edited the HOSTS file. You'll need to fix that.

And if it still doesn't find the internet, just a thought, did you disable the "DNS Client" service when you edited HOSTS? If so, then re-enable it and see if things are good.
_________

Of course, that error message frequently is the result of a malware infection.. If you haven't already, please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with BOTH of the free spyware removal tools from below. If you can't download them on the problem machine, then download them from another "clean" computer, copy them to a flash drive, then transfer them to the infected computer. Use the downloadable installer first, then run the updater link to bring the program's definitions up to date.:

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

And once you've done that, check to be sure the "proxy" settings haven't been altered by the malware. Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No dice
by ezsobre / August 7, 2010 7:48 AM PDT

Thanks. I tried each suggestion, to no avail. The hosts file is as it should be per microsoft's default hosts tutorial, no lan proxy, no DNS switched off. I ran the malware searches before posting (sorry for forgetting to mention).

I should add, for what its worth, that after editing the hosts file initially, i then flushed the dns by ipconfig /dnsflush. Also, now, after changing hosts back to original, I can hit details in the LAN/Internet control panel (which tells me ad infinitum that its "acqauriing network address"), go to support tab, then hit details, and it tells me: ip address = 0.0.0.0, same for subnet mask, but the dns server gives me an IP address.

Collapse -
Well, virusscan removed the trojan...
by ezsobre / August 7, 2010 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: No dice

that caused the error message, but the internet is still unreachable.

Collapse -
Removing the trojan is a good start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

But it's important that we know that removal does not repair the OS and sometimes the damage is too deep. But let's try the usual.

Read and do this -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

I suggest the FIX IT FOR ME item in that article.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!