General discussion

XP bluescreen problem

Hi all--I,m not very experienced when it comes to 'techie' matters and I now have a serious problem. When booting up Windows does a disk check then carries on to the Windows is starting screen then the dreaded 'blue screen appears with the following 'I0 SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in Rapport PG.sys [WDM DRIVER ERROR 226] [Rapport PG. sys + 4a6 at F159E4A6]. My laptop then shuts down and reboots, diskcheck etc until it reaches the blue screen then shuts down etc.
Now I dont know if this has anything to do with this but recently this message kept popping up ''VIA Fast Infrared Controller not working [code 10]''.
I hav'nt a clue what any of this means and would appreciate any help in saving my sanity Thanks
OS-Win XP home SP3 Int exp8

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP bluescreen problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP bluescreen problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Rapport PG. sys or RapportPG. sys
- Collapse -
xp bluescreen

Thanks Bob but how can I delete anything as I cannot get beyond the bluescreen with no buttons showing. I,ve tried safeboot but same result. I,ve also tried recovery Alt + f10 when booting but when it asked for system password I was unable to enter anything [buttons not responding. Any idea why?.

- Collapse -
My idea why.

I only glanced at that software and see it is some security item and when it fails it looks like it will lock you out.

WE DO HAVE OPTIONS BEYOND A FULL REINSTALL FROM THE RESTORE CDS.

I'd read The LaCie Miracle at the next link to show that we can get our files out but that miracle is used for MORE. Not only can we get files out but we can DELETE FILES that we want gone. For example I could look for and delete that rapport.sys file (you have the exact name so excuse my intentional typographic error here.

READ http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?threadID=354911&tag=forums06;forum-threads for The LaCie Miracle.

About that SYSTEM PASSWORD. I'd have to know more about the machine to tell more but the security software could have wedged itself in deep to thwart access. My comment here is to use such software sparingly. That is, I don't suggest such titles because when they fail we usually get to reload the machine.
Bob

CNET Forums