Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP behaving weird

by pcfreak / August 21, 2005 1:34 AM PDT

i'm having a weird problem with xp. my taskbar appears to be using the windows xp style theme while the title bar on top uses the classic theme. i have to restart the "themes" service everytime i log on. besides that, i'm also seeing this pop-up when i click properties on my computer-"run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close..." and my sound card is behaving weird too. i have to reinstall it's drivers to have it detected everytime i boot. i've tried repairing the windows files using "sfc /scannow" but it doesn't work. may i know what is the problem with my pc and how do i solve it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP behaving weird
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP behaving weird
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
spyware?
by Tech05 / August 21, 2005 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: XP behaving weird

could it be that spyware is on your system? have you run a spyware/virus check? someone could have hijacked your system.

Collapse -
You might try ''System Restore''...
by glenn30 / August 21, 2005 1:43 AM PDT

To a time before the problems began. If that is of no help you may be infected with malware (virus or worm). This being the case you will receive better help by posting in the ''Virus and security alerts'' forum for advice and recommendations

Good luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
You may try to change the setting in "Performance Options"
by lath / August 21, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

I dont really understand what cause your PC problem, but you may try to change the setting for the appearance and performance. (Right click on My Computer icon - Properties - Advanced - Settings - Visual Effects). Here you can play around with setting, but if you want to keep same theme, I suggest you choose either "Adjust for best appearance" or "Let Windows....".

Collapse -
Can't even start the System Restore service
by pcfreak / August 21, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

i get an error message saying:
"svchost.exe - Application error
the exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occured in the application at location 0x751b3b3d"

Collapse -
running norton?
by mdha / August 21, 2005 5:09 PM PDT

r u running norton internet security?
reply soon

Collapse -
no..
by pcfreak / August 22, 2005 2:55 AM PDT

i'm not running norton internet security. anyway..i just reinstalled xp and now i have another problem.
i just did a fresh install without reformatting my drive. i still have my old data and programs on my c drive and my account is still available on C:\Documents and Settings\***. i'm now using a new account-C:\Documents and Settings\***.DESKTOP2. is there anyway that i could use back my previous account (***) instead of the new one (***.DESKTOP2)?

pls help.

Collapse -
You may need to "Take Ownership"
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2005 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: no..
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.